58. pain

"Where is he?" I muttered to myself as Jackson secured the strap around my chest. It was time for my surgery and I was terrified. Finn said he would be here, but we were minutes away from starting and he was no where to be seen.

A figure walked into the room and I let out a sigh of relief, only to realize it wasn't Finn, but Bellamy instead.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, tears already forming in my eyes out of fear.

Bellamy sat down beside my head and grabbed my hand, "Moral support." he said giving me a small grin.

I gave him a watery smile, "Thank you, Bellamy."

He nodded as he squeezed my hand, "Finn should be here, he's just speaking with Clarke-"

"It's okay." I cut him off, "As long as you're here, I'll be okay."

"Ready?" Abby Griffin asked as she walked into the room. She had gotten over being upset with me over the whole Clarke leaving camp situation once she had returned safely.

Abby spotted Bellamy, "You're planning on staying? It will be rough to watch."

Bellamy nodded as he gave me a small smile, "Yeah, I'm not leaving."

I smiled back at him as I tightened my grip on his hand. Even if Finn wasn't here, Bellamy was and that meant a lot to me.

"Okay." Abby whispered as I felt her take a hold of my leg. "Are you ready, Avery?"

I met eyes with Bellamy and he gave me a nod in support. I let out a deep breath, "Yeah, I'm ready." I whispered.

And then she started. The pain was debilitating, I felt like I couldn't breathe. The only noise I could produce were screams.

Bellamy's grip tightened on my hand as he leaned close to my face, "You're doing great, Avery. I'm here alright?"

Tears were soaking my face as Abby continued. I wanted to scream at her to stop, but I knew I couldn't, I had to try to keep going.

"Almost done." She promised. It felt like I could feel her pushing at every muscle, every nerve. But it got to the point where I couldn't take it. "Stop." I begged, my voice so weak, I doubt she could even hear me.

"Stop." I repeated again, this time gathering the attention of Bellamy, who looked down at me and then back to Abby. "She said stop." he repeated my words, which caused Abby to pause. She still had the scalpel inserted into my leg but the pain had subsided slightly.

"Sweetie, if I stop down it will only be more painful when I start again."

Bellamy lifted his free hand to wipe away the tears that were staining my face, "You can do this" he whispered.

I nodded as I turned my head back to Abby, "Okay," I let out a shaky breath, "I'm ready."

Suddenly another voice cut through the air, "I'm here!" Finn announced as he rushed to the other side of my head where Bellamy wasn't sitting. He pulled a stool up, which caused Bellamy glared at him as he grabbed my other hand, "I'm here, Avs."

I couldn't speak through the pain that had resumed, all I could do was glance over at my brother through teary eyes.

After a few more minutes of unbearable pain, Abby's voice cut through the air, "There!" she said in excitement as she held her hand up to reveal a small bullet. Who knew such a small thing could cause so much pain.

"You did it." Bellamy whispered as he pushed the hair out of my face, "It's done."

I could feel Finn glaring at the two of us and so I turned to face him, "Where were you?" I whispered, trying not to draw the attention of Abby and Jackson.