nine

Lisa was reviewing specials for the night with her line cooks when her business manager walked into the kitchen.

"Chef, I've got a corporate client on the line that wants to come in and talk to you about a buyout night," she said, "is there a good time to set up a meeting?"

"You've already gone over the buyout policies with them?" Lisa asked.

"Yep, week nights only, price, everything," she answered, "they are good to pick a date and a menu. They didn't even seem to flinch at the prices and I priced it as high as a weekend night."

"Ok then, any weekday at four is fine," Lisa said, "but let them know politely that I've only got about 20 minutes or so open to give them."

"Is today okay?" she asked, "they said as soon as you were open."

"Sure," Lisa said. She had everything in order and the line cooks were already well into the preparations for the night. It was Tuesday so the restaurant was mostly booked but it looked to be a manageable night.

Lisa continued her work until the manager stuck her head into the kitchen to let her know that the client had arrived. Lisa walked out into the dining area and broke into a smile when she saw Jisoo waiting for her at the table.

"You know, you don't have to buy out the whole restaurant to get my approval," Lisa said as she sat across from Jisoo, "I'm okay with you dating my sister."

Jisoo laughed, "I'm glad to hear it but I'd date your sister with or without your approval. And I'm here to do a buyout for a YG function because this is the hottest place in town and your food is fucking fantastic."

"Okay then, Jisoo" Lisa said, thinking that Jisoo's boldness fit with Jennie's personality perfectly, "what can I do for you?"

"So every year we do a dinner for some of our employees," Jisoo said, "It's kind of an awards thing for employees that go above and beyond, both at work and in the community. Strangely, it's something that Alice started. It's about the only thing we still do that he had a hand in. The employees love it. It's kind of a big deal to see who gets invited to the dinner each year. Winners can be anybody from any department and the employees pick the winners by vote."

"Interesting concept," Lisa said, "It doesn't get too competitive?"

"No, it doesn't," Jisoo said, "It's kind of a 'pay it forward' kind of thing. People get noticed for kind acts. It's not really a competition."

"That doesn't sound at all like the infamous Alice Park," Lisa said. "I'll admit I went and googled her after my first dinner with Chaeyoung. I mean I know the internet doesn't give the whole story but she didn't sound like a very nice woman."

"I hate the girl. She is truly the only person on this earth that I can say I actually hate," Jisoo said, "but even I have to admit that it's complicated. My feelings mostly come from how much she hurt Chaeyoung. She doesn't talk about her much. It's just too hard for her, I think. When she does open up she remembers her sister back when she was a decent person, or at least she thought she was. I don't think anyone understands what really drove her to madness."

"That makes me really sad," Lisa said softly, "I mean for Chaeyoung." Jisoo noticed that Lisa looked like her eyes were glazed with tears but she quickly composed herself.

"Well, I didn't come here to get us both depressed," Jisoo said, "I came here to plan a celebration, so let's get to it."

They picked a Thursday night about a month away. Jisoo explained that they always had the dinner on a Thursday because the winners were given the following day off as an added bonus. They agreed that Lisa would pick a limited menu of appetizers, entrees and desserts and the guests choices would be made ahead of time and sent back to the restaurant for ease of service.