fourteen

Jisoo held her phone in her hand tightly and looked down at it constantly. Chaeyoung's mind was racing as they watched the news. Almost a half hour passed and they still hadn't heard anything. The news coverage was chaotic at best as the situation was still unfolding. Chaeyoung raised the volume a bit when they cut from the talking heads at the desk to an interview with a witness at the scene.

"I was just walking to work when I heard the popping noise. I thought it was a car or something until people started panicking and running in every direction," he said. "When I looked up this guy was just heading toward my side of the street, where the FBI building is. There were people just frozen. This woman starts screaming really loud that she's from the FBI and she's yelling at everyone to go around this gate into the parking area, to get out of the line of fire, you know. She must have gotten 20 of us through that gate but then I saw her go down."

Chaeyoung glanced toward Jisoo who looked like she was about to be sick. The phone rang in Jisoo's hand and they both jolted forward. The screen showed that it was Lisa.

"Lisa," Jisoo said, panic in her voice.

"She's hurt, Jisoo, that's all I know," Jisoo could hear that Lisa was walking quickly and breathing heavily, "They called Minzy. They said to go to Seoul General."

"I'll meet you there," Jisoo answered. She clicked off. Her body was shaking. She felt Chaeyoung walk behind the desk and literally pull her up from her seat.

"Where do we need to go?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Seoul General," Jisoo managed to say.

Chaeyoung took charge as Jisoo was in a complete fog. She led Jisoo down to her car and drove them both to the hospital. Jisoo could feel the tears running down her cheeks but she didn't even have the wherewithal to wipe them away. They parked and made their way into the emergency area. Chaeyoung was looking for an information desk when she heard a voice from down the hall.

"Chaeyoung," Lisa called out. Chaeyoung looked up and Lisa was waving at them to come toward her. She was waiting at a bank of elevators and they stepped into one with her as soon as they caught up.

"Minzy and Daesung just called again. They are on the way," Lisa said, "They said someone from the FBI called and told them to just go up to the 5th floor surgery waiting room."

Chaeyoung immediately noticed Lisa's demeanor was much different from Jisoo's. While Jisoo looked to be in shock, Lisa just seemed angry. Her jaw was tight and her arms were crossed in front of her chest tightly. They exited the elevator and found the surgical waiting area. There was a woman sitting behind a desk at the front. Behind her were about six different sitting areas that were separated by dividers.

Lisa strode up to the women at the desk and said, "We are here for Jennie Kim."

The woman looked as if she had been anticipating their arrival. She didn't need to look down at a list or check anything before answering.

"Yes, ma'am, Agent Kim was brought into surgery just a few minutes ago. You all can pick any area to sit and wait," she said gently, "someone will come out to see you as soon as they can give an update."

"Do you have any idea how long that will be?" Lisa said gruffly, "We don't have any information at all."

The woman remained a picture of gentle calm. Chaeyoung wondered what type of person was able to handle this job where emotions had to always be all over the place.

"I'm sorry, I don't," the woman answered, "but I am able to get a message to the surgical suite that the family has arrived. They will send someone out to talk to you as soon as they can. Sometimes it's only a few minutes but sometimes it takes a little while."