twenty-one

Minzy sat listening patiently as Jennie told her about the doctor's appointment and then about the fight with Jisoo. Jennie was sullen and grumpy. Minzy thought it was clear that she had hit some sort of a wall in her emotional recovery. Jennie had always been impatient and hard-headed. Minzy knew that these traits would come to the forefront at some point. Jennie finished her story by complaining that if Jisoo truly cared about her she shouldn't have left. Minzy sighed then stood up to go to the kitchen.

"I'm going to brew myself a cup of tea," Minzy said, "Do you want one?"

"Sure," Jennie answered.

Minzy took her time making the tea. She wanted to think a bit before deciding what to say to Jennie. She knew that Jennie was having a very hard time and needed her support but it was also clear that Jennie had treated Jisoo badly. She finished up with the tea and added a bit of honey to each then went back to the den.

"Here you go," Minzy said, handing the tea to Jennie.

"Thanks," Jennie answered, "So am I going to get a lecture now?"

"A bit of one, yes," Minzy replied, "I'm your mom and you asked me to come here. You know that I am going to tell it like it is, Jennie, and you know that I'm going to love you no matter what."

"I know," Jennie said, "I'm just angry. I'm angry at the situation and I'm angry at Jisoo. I don't even know why I'm angry at Jisoo."

"The first thing I want to say is that I'm glad you are seeing the counselor in a couple of days," Minzy said, "I think that talking to someone who is an expert in these types of recoveries is a very, very good idea."

"Yeah, me too," Jennie said.

"In the meantime, if you want my honest opinion, I'll give it to you," Minzy said.

"Go ahead," Jennie said.

"I've never been injured like you are right now, Jennie," Minzy said, "But I understand that you are having a great deal of difficulty dealing with the amount of time that this is going to take to heal. You have always been a very physically active person and losing that has got to be very, very hard for you. Everyone understands that this is going to take a toll on you emotionally as well. It breaks my heart to see you suffering and I would do anything to make you better if I could."

Jennie was getting teary-eyed and she took a sip of her tea to try to compose herself.

"However, that does not excuse how you treated Jisoo today," Minzy continued, "you were wrong and I think you know it. You are feeling sorry for yourself that she didn't stay but I think that leaving is the best thing she could have done. She has no obligation to stay here and be treated badly by you. You wanted a punching bag and you were using her. Even after she left, you texted and told her to stay away with no explanation other than that I was coming. That is not okay, Jennie. I'm sure she is feeling pretty hurt right now."

Jennie just sat sullenly drinking her tea. Minzy knew that Jennie needed a bit of time to think so she just sat quietly as well.

"I love her, mom," Jennie finally said tearfully, "I know we haven't dated very long but I really, really love her. I don't know why I acted like I did to her."

"Do you know the story of how Dad and I met?" Minzy asked.

"I know you met at some party where your friends were trying to get you together with some other guy," Jennie said.

"That's right," Eliza said, "My friends thought me and this other guy would be perfect for each other. We talked for a few minutes then your dad walked up and joined the conversation and that was it. We ended up talking the rest of the night. The guy figured it out pretty quickly and left us together. Two days later I told my friends that I was going to marry your dad."