Untitled Part 1

There was someone new in the Constant. They stumbled out of the portal and fell to the ground. It was nighttime, and the next day was the first of Fall. All they had was the jacket on their back, a modern electronic device, and a lot of information. They went around collecting a lot the next day. The first thing they crafted was an opulent ax.

Everyone else had their own base camp to try and survive. Winona had recently gotten some new ideas, and electricity was running through everything they owned. The rest of the camp was thankful for all this, but Maxwell wasn't too sure about it. What if the way to power everything went out? He kept to his old ways, making flames out of shadow and attacking by himself.

Maxwell was usually in charge of scouting and night watches. He could watch multiple places at the same time through his clones. While he was scouting an area near the pig king, he found them. They were huddled close to a roaring fire and still shivering. He disregarded all other clones, putting all his energy into the one that was going to help them.

They were asleep at that moment. When they woke up to crunching snow, they expected a fight. What they didn't expect was a hug, and a very warm one at that. They tried to say something, but their teeth were chattering too much. They just leaned into the hug. All they had was their jacket.

Maxwell saw that the person he had found was still cold. He blindly stumbled over to a chest and pulled out a bearger pelt vest. He took off the fur coat he had made for himself, put the vest on, then teleported the jacket to the shadow clone. The shadow clone wrapped the jacket around them, and they held onto it tightly. Maxwell was happy to see that they were warm now.

They looked up at the shadow clone. It brushed some of their hair behind their ear. "You're not suited for winter. You'll have better luck in summer." It stands up and looks at the sky. "He's going to have me take you back to the main camp. You'll be more comfortable there. But I can't do that at night." It adds another log to the fire. They tilt their head to the side as they watch it.

"What's his name?" They ask it. It looks at them in curiosity and a bit of surprise. "His name is Maxwell." It answers. "And yours?" They ask. "I am just a copy. I'm meant to be expendable." It was curious about their morals. "You're the first person I've met out here. What am I supposed to call you if you don't have a name?" They grab its hand. It looks down at them. It felt something odd. It feeling in the first place was odd, but it couldn't quite name the feeling. They knew of happiness, sadness, anger, but not this. "My name...Will be Maximilian." It knew what the feeling was. Liberation. It was free, it was its own being now.

They smile kindly. "Maximilian is a lovely name." They sit back down by the fire. "So, we're going in the morning?" It sits down next to them and nods. "I'll take you there. Thank you..." They look over at it curiously. "Why?" They ask. "Because before, I would have just disappeared when Maxwell was done with me. But, now? I can stay as long as I want." They smile and lean on it. It wraps an arm around them and rests with them until the morning.

When the pair got to the camp, the rest of the survivors were surprised to see them. Maximilian led the newcomer to the fire and sat with them. Maxwell came over and sat with them as well.

"Warm now?" Maxwell asked quietly. They nodded and sighed softly. "So, you're Maxwell, I'm guessing?" They asked him. Maxwell nodded. "And you are?" He shoots back. "My name is Karma," They answer. He nods and hums softly. "Strange name." They look over at him. "Strange how?" They ask. He shrugs. "Not common to have a name associated with fate and morality." They chuckle softly. At least they would enjoy their time with two people here.