112 - Labyrinth - Part 4

I gaze up at the two of them with a vague hope that Lionel has a plan. I can't move, and as the spear in my leg is pulled out, I sink to the ground. We are at best two against a thousand of them, without some sort of immense magic like yesterday or just now, there's no way we will get out. The only reason I can think of that Lionel would try to go here on his own was if it would be too much of a risk to bring others. Furthermore, it's quite dangerous to get near the labyrinth, and it's a waste of magic to spend energy on tearing it down when the enemy will otherwise have to do it themselves.

I try to get on my legs, but they're not listening at all. As much as it pains me to say, I won't be able to go anywhere without being carried. It's a good think that there's two of them. Maybe we can actually get back. The path behind us is already closing though. The Headal earth magicians flatten it with stone walls while they get ready for us to turn. Lionel glances to me and then to Asher.

"Get ready! I'm counting on you to get her the rest of the way!"

I chill runs down my spine at those words that sound off.

"Yes s-" Asher attempts to reply, but I end up interrupting him with a stinging chest as I watch the enemy come down upon us.

"What about you?!"

If he leaves my care to Asher, then Lionel won't go with us. A spear user sends a jab against Lionel who skillfully blocks it and slashes out at the wooden part of the spear, just exactly grazing it.

"I don't have enough mana to get all of us back. Even with the best outcome, both of us give our life to get you back." He makes a stab towards an encroaching knight and glances to Asher. There's no hint of hesitation or regret in his voice. He's doing the same thing Haruki did. Speaking as calmly and confidently as Haruki did... I can see him looking for the perfect moment like a hawk while trying to delay the inevitable. Their two man shield wall will get pierced, and spears, longswords, war-hammers... attacks rain down on their risen shields, and I finally notice blood sliding from inside Asher's helmet. The two of them ran out here with a plan that they intend to fulfill, with or without my acceptance.

"Why?! Why would you do something like this?!" I struggle to get on my feet again, but my legs are still numb, so instead I gasp at Lionel's leg in frustration. His answer is calm...

"You can heal the soldiers. I cannot. I can easily be replaced by Reynold," he replies with a bit of content in his voice. They're words I cannot refute, and the idiot is a good noble... but... I don't want to lose anymore people! I don't want to be forcefully rescued again and see people left behind to die! No! No! No!

My head begins to spin. If I cast the tsunami spell, would we be able to get away? we might, but...

"Lionel! Blast them away for a minute and take off your helmet!" I scream up at him. Without even looking away from the battle he replies with irritation in his voice.

"I will get you back! I have no time for-"

I don't have time for his arguing. I have but one trick up my sleeve to try out, but it needs at least a moment of peace.

"Do it! I will not return alone!" I roar up at him.

Lionel glances down at me, just for a moment. One moment where he has to decide whether or not to trust me. If I fail or do something stupid, then his sacrifice will be for naught. He has one sure fire way in his mind to get me back... and I am demanding that he abandons that with the risk of none of us returning. I could ask him or beg him to trust me, but trust is not something built now and here. It is built on the years we have know each other.

Lionel lets out a roar. The ground around us turns to a flower of outwards spikes that create a small barrier and pushes away all enemies just for a moment. In apparent anger and frustration, Lionel unstraps his helmet and throws it to the ground.

"Now what?!"

His cold eyes are alight with vexation as he looks to me for the next step, and as he does, I pull myself up my using his body, and reach up to pull his head down roughly. It's been eight years since last I did this, but if it worked last time, then it should work now as well, right?

I press my lips to his forehead.

I've full mana, as usual I can't spend it after all, as such I should be able to transfer my mana to Lionel. I would have through that my mana wouldn't be good for him, after all mine was water, but Claire had been fine eight year ago.

Asher moves closer to us and holds up his shield nervously as the enemy begins pulling people off the spikes and either removing the spikes or crawling over them. He's wobbling and keeps glancing around to all the enemies and then to us...

Lionel went quiet for a while too. The few expressions I see around us have tinges of confusion and disgust though... I am fully aware that one guy kissing another's forehead is not appropriate. Though, kissing in public never will be!

My mana depletes surprisingly fast compared to back with Claire. It feels like pouring water into parched earth... my view blackens... blood loss? Air loss? I feel a light push from Lionel that stops me from feeding him mana.

"Idiot," he mutters and puts an arm under mine.

"We're pulling back, Asher!"

I note Asher's figure turn towards Lionel, but everything gets kind of shadowy. I hear a distant cursing, going 'gross!' And 'do not want it!'... did I activate sense?

I note the landscape moving by rapidly, but the sounds turn mushy and muddled together after this. I manage to make out the Tepet soldiers... and Vitis... I think... chasing down Peony... so many earth walls... Peony is being trapped just like me? Did Peony do something stupid again?

"Lily."

I make out my blurry name and look up at Lionel... I can see my knees while looking straight ahead... he's carrying me... I look to Asher to make sure he's still with us, but Lionel rids me of the need to look.

"He- passed o-.... heal -f -....- can."

I look around for Lumere and note the knight shape standing in mid-air. Honestly I doubted how well I'd be able to perform the prayer, but despite my sleepy and groggy state where my own words is the only thing echoing in my head, it seems like it worked. A few moments later, I pass out due to pain and exhaustion, and the last thing I remember was the feeling of falling.