CH 2//The monster in his house

TW physical abuse, swearing

Present time, Charlie is 17

Remember that time you were going down the stairs and missed a step? That terror that ran through you for half a second? Imagine that sort of feeling, but having it last much longer. This is exactly how Charlie would feel when he was met with conflict. This morning he was having one of these attacks under his bed. 'Why couldn't today just dissapear? Why did we have to move? Why did I have to go to a new school?' Questions like these flooded his mind until he heard a knock.

"Charles, hurry up" His fathers voice spoke from behind the door. He stayed frozen under the bed and listened as his footsteps grew distant. He squeezed his eyes shut trying to figure out just how the hell he was going to bring himself to even move. He allowed his mind to distract him with more questions. 'Why is change so hard for me? Why couldn't I wake up with a fever too high for me to go?' Another half hour went by before his father grew impatient. He held his breath when he heard him storm into his room. A moment later he felt hands grab his ankles. He gasped as he was pulled away from the comfort that the tight space provided. He was already in tears by the time David brought him to his feet. "WHAT DID I TELL YOU?" David screamed in his face. The smell of alchol wafted off his breath and burned Charlies nostrals.

"Charlie baby it's okay" His mothers soft voice spoke. Charlie was 5 at the time, hiding under his bed. David came in to investigate.

"What's he doin?" He said in an unamused tone.

"Shh!" Amanda hushed him.

"Charlie" His voice made Charlie jumped a little "Get out from under there"

"David no, leave him be. He'll come out when he's ready".

"Amanda, the boys gatta learn how to listen" He placed his beer bottle down on the dressor and walked over to the bed.

"Don't" Amanda warned him. He didn't listen, and instead dragged Charlie out from his hiding spot. Charlie kicked and screamed for his life.

"DAVID PUT HIM DOWN!"

"NO HE'S A LITTLE FUCKING BRAT WHO THINKS HE CAN GET AWAY WITH WHATEVER THE HELL HE WANTS!"

"I SAID, PUT HIM DOWN" She stared at him coldly. Charlie was shaking at this point.

"Fine" He dropped Charlie who ran into his mothers arms. "Raise a fucking brat, i dont care" And with that he left the room.

"Answer me dammit!" Davids words brought Charlie back to his cold reality.  'why can't he leave me alone?' He thought to himself.
"You're a fucking piece of shit, you know that?" Charlies mouth opened slightly as if he was going to grant his fathers wish and say something, anything, but nothing came out. As a result, David threw him onto the ground. "You may be heavy but I can still chuck you across the room" David said with a smirk. He acted as though that was something to be proud of. He kicked the boy in the stomach before leaving him be.
As tears ran down his cheecks, Charlie thought of one last question before breaking down into sobs. 'Why did my mom have to leave me?'