Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

I hate it.

I hate parties, I hate the loud music, the claustrophobic feeling of hundreds of people pressed up against each other. I hate the smell of sweat and cheap perfume (in this case is was expensive perfume, but it really all smelled the same when compacted into one room with hundreds of sweating bodies). I hate the alcohol, the drunks, the setting itself.  

The party was large, everyone dressed up in ridiculous costumes. People were already drunk, so drunk that as Ezra and I walked in, we watched a student run out of the building and vomit in the bushes.

Why Ezra wanted to come here was beyond me. He was still slightly limping and I know he wasn't feeling good and yet, here we are.

I clung to him as we walked into the building, sure, it was a cowardly thing to do, but I never claimed to be anything but a coward. As long as Ezra was next to me, I felt a bit more confident.

Of course my confidence immediately dissipated, as a bunch of people crowded around Ezra, all trying to talk with him, or inviting him to drink, dance, and one even asked if Ezra wanted something to 'take the edge off' which made my skin crawl, because I knew exactly what that entailed.

These people seemed more like Ezra's crowd, I didn't understand why he spent all his time with me, when he could be doing some reckless college things with people actually willing to do them.

I loosened my grip on Ezra's arm, wondering if he'd choose to go off with the group of people and leave me to runaway from the party as soon as he was gone.

He noticed my slight release on his arm, and boldly intertwined his arm with mine, as if to say, "You're not slipping away that easily, stupid." I wasn't sure if I was relieved he held onto me, or upset he wouldn't let me go.

"Ezra fucking Scott has arrived!" Someone shouted in a microphone on the stage near the DJ, which made the entire party erupt into dramatic cheers of delight.

Ezra didn't even look phased. I gawked at him, I knew he was used to attention, but if something like this happened to me, I would want to sink into the floor and never return.

All eyes went to Ezra as he pushed past them with dominant ease.

With my arm still intertwined with his, I pressed myself against him, as if it would shield me from the hundreds of glares I was getting from each passing person.

God, I hate this.

We walked to a corner of the room where I noticed a few familiar faces. These were the same people Ezra used to hang out with before he started spending all his time with me.

Really, they were the last people I wanted to see. I had no doubt they thought I stole Ezra from them and were holding a lofty grudge.

"Ezra!" A girl with beautiful long black hair with a very tight red dress on. I think she was supposed to be dressed as some sort of haunted doll, but really, she looked like she was about to model on a runway. She was beautiful. She squealed Ezra's name as she ran up to him and wrapped her long arms around his neck. I quickly pulled my arm out of Ezra's grasp and stepped away from him.

There was no way I was going to awkwardly cling to him when he was getting hugged by a girl who obviously had an overbearing crush on him.

And, not to mention she was ten times prettier than me.

"Where have you been?" The girl asked, "You never talk to us anymore." She was completely ignoring my presence. I get it. I didn't want her attention anyway.

A guy dressed as a cop came up to Ezra, and clapped him on the back, "Dude, we've got some great fucking alcohol tonight, stole them from my dad's wine cellar."