thirty-two

Lisa woke up as the morning light peeked in through the windows. She smelled coffee brewing and she rolled herself out of bed. She went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and pull her hair into a quick ponytail before making her way to the kitchen. She was surprised that Chaeyoung wasn't there but she quickly spotted her on the back deck swing drinking her coffee and reading a book. Lisa poured herself a mug and headed outside.

"Good morning," Lisa said softly, sitting beside Chaeyoung and giving her a quick kiss.

"Hey there," Chaeyoung said, "It's still early, I'm surprised you're up."

"Well, I was hoping to wake up next to a beautiful woman," Lisa said pouting.

"Oh, is someone else coming?" Chaeyoung asked, teasing. She put down her coffee and pulled Lisa in for a better kiss.

"Now that's better," Lisa said smiling, "You want some breakfast?"

"I guess something light would be nice," Chaeyoung said, "We had such a nice dinner last night I'm not really starving."

Lisa got up and went into the kitchen. Chaeyoung glanced through the window every couple of minutes watching Lisa pull out different containers and fill two bowls. Lisa walked back out and handed a bowl to Chaeyoung.

"Greek yogurt with some granola I made and some fresh berries and peaches," Lisa said. Chaeyoung took a bite and hummed happily. When they finished eating Chaeyoung grabbed the bowls and insisted Lisa let her clean up. Lisa settled on the swing and finished her coffee. Chaeyoung walked back out looking at her phone.

"Hey, it looks like rain is headed this way later today," Chaeyoung said, "You want to get dressed and go walk along the beach while it's still nice?"

"Sure," Lisa answered. They both got dressed and headed out. Lisa had a backpack packed for the outing. The walk down to the beach was along a path through the redwood trees. They held hands and stopped every now and then when some flowers or a nice view of the ocean distracted them. They got down to the beach and decided they would head north toward a cliff that eventually cut off the beach as it met the ocean. After about a mile they were only a few yards from the cliff. They hadn't seen anyone else out but they weren't surprised as the innkeeper said that at this time of year the area was pretty empty. Lisa put down the backpack. She pulled out a small blanket and laid it on the sand. They both plopped down. She grabbed out a bottle of water and offered Chaeyoung a sip first before drinking some herself.

"This is so beautiful and so peaceful," Chaeyoung said, "I can't think of a better Christmas gift."

"Well, I have a bit of a confession," Lisa said, "It was actually Jennie's idea."

"Remind me to give her a big kiss when we get back," Chaeyoung said smiling.

"No way, you are never going to kiss my sister," Lisa said climbing on top of Chaeyoung and pushing her down onto the blanket, "Your kisses are reserved for me." They laughed and kissed for a moment then Lisa laid down beside Chaeyoung. Lisa grabbed her phone and small speaker and turned on her "Chill" songlist. They happily listened to music and chatted and just watched the ocean for the next couple of hours. Eventually they noticed the clouds starting to roll in from a distance.

"I guess we should head back soon," Lisa said, "I don't want to get caught in the weather."

"Ok, hey let's go check out the cliffs first," Chaeyoung said. The cliffs had small openings all along the wall. As they explored they saw that some had pools of water inside while others were just pockets of cold air. They got to one opening that was deeper than the others and Chaeyoung walked in first then pulled Lisa in behind her.