o61

C H A P T E RS I X T Y - O N E

C H A P T E R
S I X T Y - O N E

Fear rippled through us, sending a jittery impulse that perturbed our senses.

The cable line that connected my earphones from the others were creating wobbling sounds, like tarry crumpling of papers that hurt my eardrums.

"How ironic. You're trapped in what was supposed to be the enemy's cage." The sudden bleakness in Xiaojun's voice sliced straight through me.

I shot a concerned look over Yangyang's way, and my vision was clouded by a tenebrous unit. Somehow, the sound from my earpiece started to make sense, and Ten's voice could be heard.

"Sooji. Switch to Plan B. They have taken control of the cyborgs."

"What's Plan B?" We don't have a second plan. We were so confident that things would work this out.

Ten cleared his throat. "Luck." Then he paused. "And teamwork."

After that, the earpiece shut down for good, disconnecting everything but magnifying my senses as well.

"How did you control the cyborgs?"

Hendery flashed an imminent smirk. "You wouldn't like to find out."

I clenched my fists tight, signalling my disagreement.

Hendery blinked. "Fine. If you insist," then he looked over Xiaojun's direction, as if waiting for his permission to talk. "Should we educate her, Xiaojun?"

The raven-haired man never wasted any time and got straight to the point. "We read the Capital Ruler's Neowaves. It seems like Nakamoto Yuta is so knowledgeable despite his young age. His parents taught him well. Too bad that they died."

"You - what did you do to Yuta? Where is he?!"

"The simulation is glitching. It's impossible to find him in the midst of all the errors in the program."

"Errors," I ended. "What are you talking about?"

Xiaojun flashed an imminent smirk. "The securers of the Capital. They themselves feed the crowd with delusions. Protect the Capital? Keep Yuta safe? Another manipulation. They wanted to get close to him. They waited for this day to come."

"What are you saying?"

Xiaojun raised a brow. "Who did you believe kill the Rulers? Us? You got it wrong, Dong Sooji. It's not us. Definitely not us."

The question who was supposed to leave my lips; but instead, it got stuck on my throat. Because honestly, I didn't want to find out who killed Yuta's parents.