Scary Creature: For The_FanFairy

Scary Creature

For The_FanFairy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are both 5 in this first part

***************

Alone. You were alone.

But no. Mommy and daddy just wouldn't wake up. That was all.

"Mommy? Daddy? Wake up. Come on, wake up," you pleaded, your voice raspy. You shook them. They usually woke up when you did that. But now they weren't moving. They weren't answering; they weren't waking up.

Your daddy's leg was gone, bitten clean off by a ferocious creature. His arm was badly burnt, his sleeve now gone. Your mommy's side was a bitter mixer of burnt and melted, the skin an ugly sight.

You didn't care. You just wanted them to wake up.

Maybe they were just really tired after fighting the monster. Yeah, you told yourself, that was it. They had fallen asleep side by side, so you squeezed between them, also ready for a nap after the terrifying battle.

*******************

You are now both 15

*******************

Life was hard enough knowing the dragons would eventually return for another raid. Now, with peace between Viking and dragons, life was worse. Now the beasts were everywhere, and people acted as if all past crimes never happened. The death of hundreds- including your parents- forgotten in the blink of an eye.

And why?

Because of one Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III.

Once considered a dear friend, you know despised him. More like you were really mad at him. He knew better than almost anyone else in the village how a dragon can single handedly destroy a family. How could he befriend one? How did he even stand being near one? They were such scary creatures.

Your heart constantly raced. Dragons. Dragons were everywhere. There was no escape. Not even in the forest. Dragons now roamed there freely.

The controlling anxiety never lessened. Constant flashbacks, nightmares, panic attacks, and what if's flooded your mind. Nothing held them back. Not when there was a dragon around every corner.

At night, you could hear your neighbor's dragon snore. The creature slept on the other side of the wall, in the alley between the two houses. During the day, dragons would roar, squawk, take off, land, and dash through the streets. Some even landed heavily on your small roof, shaking your one room house.

The only person in the village who held the same resentment towards the monsters was Mildew, a bitter old man who only ever complained. The old man quickly caught onto your disapproval of the new Berk, and spent every second he could with you when you were out in the village. He spoke non-stop of the dragons and how life used to be better. However, with nothing good or different to talk about, you started avoiding the negative being. You wanted to forget, not be reminded, of the situation.

Hiccup was second to catch on. He tried getting you to be around Toothless, which failed. He had to send Toothless back and help you through the panic attacks he accidentally triggered.

Then Toothless stayed in the background. Never too close but always near. It made you uneasy, but Toothless never strayed far from Hiccup and Hiccup was determined to spend time with you.

Eventually, Toothless was allowed closer and closer. Never too close and never rushed. Nightmares and constant stressors made progress slow, sometimes even moving backwards, but Hiccup was patient.