Chapter 33

My breathing stopped, as did my blood and the vomiting. Everything was silent.

No one moved.

No one made a sound. Only the sound of our racing heartbeats that hung in the air. My stomach rumbled signaling the next wave, I coughed and more marron splatter sputtered out from my lips. Then everyone started to go into overdrive, Adam helped me wrap my hair into a greasy, messy bun before getting me on my feet.

I groaned as the stabbing sensation erupted in my abdomen which made me lose more of the contents in my stomach along with my blood. Adam threw the keys to Cooper who was working on picking up Carter from the floor, Werner was immobilized from his injuries but I was wary that we were going to get out without seeing him again.

I was dragged out into the crumbling hallway of the dormitory, the walls were covered with newspapers with people's eyes scratched out, graffiti everywhere... most importantly the place smelt like death had been living there for ages.

But then again he has been. I struggled to find my footing just to help Adam a tiny bit... I wasn't going to lose it all here and now. My mind was blurring into one thought which had been haunting me in my subconscious...

"Where is Greta," I demanded which sounded more like a slur. Werner looked up at me with droopy eyes,

"Who?"

"Where. Is. Greta!!!" I raised my voice as more vomit collected at the base of my throat. Adam stopped from directing me towards the door, I glared down at him as he coughed a bit.

"Oh, she's here... somewhere. She helped me with you a couple of times when you were fully unconscious." He laughed, my teeth clenched together creating an awful grinding.

"She wouldn't do that! She's to close to do that!"

"Or is she?" I inhaled a sudden breath before the blood gushed out of my mouth again.

My mind swirled with a sudden doubt...

No

She wouldn't!! At least... I thought she wouldn't.

Adam tugged at my waist to tell me that we are running out of time. I looked at him then back down at Werner.

"Let's go," I muttered and shuffled towards the broken door. I wasn't going to stick around and listen to Werner create second thoughts about my best friend.

We all stumbled into the abandoned hallway with the fading lights flickering over us. It created a sickening scenery around us which made my stomach turn some more. Adam frantically looked around for a sign that told us where to go... I remembered the way to the pool and there was an emergency exit through there.

***

I dictated to my boyfriend the direction he had to go and he gladly complied. Carter was barely hanging on to consciousness as he hung on Cooper's shoulders... I knew I was in worse shape but it didn't mean that I cared about it.

Adam stopped and Cooper bumped into him, making him lose his grip on my waist. I caught myself against the wall and I saw that we had gotten to the doors, the sign that said "pool" was scratched out with a sharp object and you could barely read it. I shuffled towards it and pushed against the bar in hopes that it would open... But it didn't budge.

"Is he okay?" Adam asked cautiously as I tried to figure out why it didn't open.

"He's barely staying alive..." Cooper responded as I continued to stare at the metallic doors in confusion. I turned my head to Adam and motioned him to help me. He was by my side instantly with his shoulder pushed up against the door, ready to break down the door.