chapter 19: superpower

When I get home from school, I immediately get to my homework with the hope I can get it all finished and not have to waste my Sunday with it. I'm both nervous and excited about tonight. Excited to spend more time with Felix, but it's hard to focus on that when my nerves are getting the best of me. Nervous about how my parents are going to react to each other, being in a room without shouting at each other. I'm even nervous about them meeting Felix, despite mom having already met him.

It didn't change the fact that he's now interested in me.

Making me much more anxious about our family game night. Running my fingers through my hair, I adjust my position in the backseat of Riker's car. After telling my brother my plans to go to Felix's game, they invited themselves along and it made more sense for me to go with them rather get Miles to drive all the way to my house to pick me up.

"You know, you guys didn't have to come with me," I tell them, eyeing Isaac who sits in the backseat with me. "I think I can handle a football game all by myself."

"To be clear," Riker holds up his finger from his driver seat, keeping one hand on the wheel. "I was already going with Lena. You're just coming with me because Miles was willing to pick Lena up."

"Yeah, yeah," I wave him off before adverting my eyes to Greyson in the passenger seat. "You're going to need to explain this game to me."

"You came to all of my games when I was playing for the bears and you don't remember a single thing about football?" Greyson turns his head, eyes full of judgement. "You're better off just watching how everyone else reacts and copy. You're never going to understand now. It's too late for you."

"Funny," I growl and look over at Isaac. "Basketball is a much better sport."

"Agreed," Isaac holds his hand up and laughs as I reach over to high five him. "Is Felix nervous about meeting dad?"

"Don't think so," I shake my head to answer his question.

"How did you even manage to get mom and dad to agree to the end of the year?" Greyson asks. "They sounded like they were dead set on going through with the divorce."

"She used her superpower," Riker answers for me.

"My superpower?" I question.

He nods. "Your power of persuasion. At first I thought it only worked on mom and dad because you're their baby and they feel the need to do right by you. Turns out it's with pretty much everyone. You have this weird way of getting people to do what you want."

"You think I'm controlling?"

"No!" The three of them say in unison.

"It kind of sounds like you're saying that," I laugh.

"I definitely think he worded that wrong," Greyson rolls his eyes. "He doesn't mean getting people to do what you want. You have this weird way of getting people to see what they really want. Mom and dad don't want the divorce but they're stubborn, and well, you're apparently the cure to stubbornness."

"Thanks, I think."

"It's a good thing," Isaac smiles gently in my direction, squeezing my shoulder. "You encourage people."

I return his smile before settling back in my seat. "I'm just glad they're actually trying now."

"Me too, honestly," Greyson sighs and turns his head to look at me. "Thank you for not giving up on them, Stevie. I know I said maybe this was for the best but I was definitely wrong."

"Us too," Riker says for both, himself and Isaac. "We're sorry."

"You don't need to be."

"We do," Isaac looks at me. "We should have supported you, Vee. We're sorry that we didn't."