Chapter Thirty

"Dad - What's going on?" Charlie asked, his head sticking out of the tent "Fred, George, Ginny and Emily got back okay, but I couldn't find the others-"
"I've got them here" he replied, making me breathe a sigh of relief, leaning back into Fred's hug.

Mr Weasley entered the tent, the golden trio ducking in after him.
"Did you get him Dad? The person who made the dark mark?" Bill asked sharply.
"No" said Mr Weasley "We found Barty Crouch's elf holding Harry's wand, but we're none the wiser as to who actually conjured the dark mark"
"WHAT?" shouted Bill, Percy and Charlie. I just stood there speechless.
"Harry's wand?" Fred said shocked
"Crouch's elf?" Percy screeched, thunderstruck.

With help from the three children next to him, Arthur explained the events that had happened in the forest. When they had finished, I saw Percy swell indignantly.
"Well, Mr Crouch was quite right to get rid of an elf like that!" He said "Running away when he'd expressly told her not to ... embarrassing him in front of the whole ministry ... how could that have looked, if she'd been up in front of the Department for the Regulation and Control -"
"She didn't do anything! - she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time!" Hermione snapped at Percy, who looked very taken aback.
"Hermione, a wizard in his position can't possibly have an elf who's going to run amok with a wand!" said Percy pompously, recovering himself.
"She didn't run amok!" Shouted Hermione "she just picked it up off the ground!"
"Both of you just shut up!" I said loudly "Percy's allowed to have an opinion Hermione - but it doesn't mean he's right. Both of you stop pushing your ideals on to each other and just agree to disagree. We've all been through a lot tonight and we don't have to be arguing over a house-elf that we're all probably never going to see again! Okay!?"

Silence fell over the tent, and Mr Weasley nodded at me thankfully.

"Look, can someone just explain what that skill thing was?" said Ron impatiently "I don't get what the big deal is - it wasn't hurting anyone"
"I told you, it's You-Know-Who's symbol, Ron," said Hermione, before anyone else could answer. "I read about it in The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts."
"And it hasn't been seen for thirteen years," said Mr. Weasley quietly. "Of course people panicked. . . it was almost like seeing You-Know-Who back again."
"I don't get it," said Ron, frowning. "I mean. . . it's still only a shape in the sky. . ."
I facepalmed at Ron's ignorance, wondering how he could miss the point.
"Ron, You-Know-Who and his followers sent the Dark Mark into the air whenever they killed," said Mr. Weasley. "The terror it inspired. . . you have no idea, you're too young. Just picture coming home and finding the Dark Mark hovering over your house, and knowing what you're about to find inside. . . ." Mr. Weasley winced. "Everyone's worst fear. . . the very worst.."

There was silence for a moment. Then Bill said, "Well, it didn't help us tonight, whoever conjured it. It scared the Death Eaters away the moment they saw it. They all Disapparated before we'd got near enough to unmask any of them. We caught the Robertses before they hit the ground, though. They're having their memories modified right now."
"Death Eaters?" said Harry. "What are Death Eaters?"
"It's what You-Know-Who's supporters called themselves," said Bill. "I think we saw what's left of them tonight - the ones who managed to keep themselves out of Azkaban, anyway."
"We can't prove it was them, Bill," said Mr. Weasley. "Though it probably was," he added hopelessly.
"Yeah, I bet it was!" said Ron suddenly . "Dad, we met Draco Malfoy in the woods, and he as good as told us his dad was one of those nutters in masks! And we all know the Malfoys were right in with You-Know-Who!"
"The Dolohov's we're here too - minus their dad obviously" I added.
"But what were Voldemort's supporters -" Harry began. Everybody flinched at the mention of his name.
"Sorry," said Harry quickly. "What were You-Know-Who's supporters up to, levitating Muggles? I mean, what was the point?"
"The point?" said Mr. Weasley with a hollow laugh. "Harry, that's their idea of fun. Half the Muggle killings back when You-Know-Who was in power were done for fun. I suppose they had a few drinks tonight and couldn't resist reminding us all that lots of them are still at large. A nice little reunion for them," he finished disgustedly.