The Color of Blood

[Heavily unedited - not proof read will get to that soon]

The roar of horse hooves sounded through the woods "you shoulda went back home Billy." Clint said as the boy road behind them. "I can help, I want too." Billy said.

Through the trees a familair glow of orange danced between the shadows and smoke seeped in to one's lungs and burned the eyes.  "Oh no." Chyna exhaled from her spot behind Jon as they drew closer. "Run them down." Clint called.

As a man threw a woman to the ground, Jon's horse mowed him over. "Shit!" The man cursed. "June!" Clint called out gun drawn and the three continued to run their horses through the men.

"Clint! The kids ran, they're somewhere in the woods!" June called.

Chyna slid off of Jon's horses and ran to June, she slid the pistol out of the skirt waist and placed it carefully in June's hands. "Go find em. Get away from here an' say somewhere safe." Chyna said hurriedly.

June flinched as a gunshot snapped into the air. Chyna looked over her shoulder to see Clints horse go down flailing in pain. "Go!" Chyna urged with a shove as June took off running.

Clint got up, rifle aimed at the man who shot his horse. He was wearing a crudely fashioned mask. "You all again? We is livin peaceful, why?" Clint asked.

One if the now five men chuckled "you're mighty fortunate this time nigger. We aint here for you - not really. See we wants that un over there." The man said nodding to Billy, a nasty smile hidden but shown in the sound of his words.

"But thats just a boy, my good sir. More so, h is one of your own." Jon tried to reason holding his riffle low. "Boys not one of us, not travelin 'round with a pack a wild coons like he is." Another man spat.

Billy glared at the men and raised his rifle "aint nobody wanna be like the five of you mushheads anyway. Five jus for me?" Billy said. "No, no jus you, yous only worth a few bits. It's the other one." The leader of this fire starting band said with great amusement.

Chyna shivered at the sound of hia voice, "the one yappin his gums with you there boy" he said nodding towards Clint. "Like his mouth was just as blue and nasty as your own." He added. "I aint never been nobodies boy but my ma's and i ai t know whos you're goin on about." Clint spoke in a deep strained growl as he struggled with his composure.

"I think you do." The man said with a chuckle. "An you know what?" He sang.

Amidst the crackling roar of the flames came the sounds of many feet, many hooves. Chyna, Billy, Jon amd Clint circled together back to back as more people inched in. Some wore those terrible masks and some didn't.

With them they held ropes and torches, and an items that caused Clint to shiver. "You-you dont have to do this." Billy stammered. Chyna wrapped her arms around the boyas if to protect him. Her eyes locking with a face that was so reconizable it made her stomach sour.