One

They sky was bright, despite the heavy clouds of dust and rubble. The city was burning, crumbling from the bottom up. The tree from hell stood tall above the wreckage, taunting those who gazed upon it and frightened those who would soon become its victims.

The man who's skin was stained with patterns of sharp black figures walked silently down the abandoned streets. His sandals scuffed the ground lightly, sending small pebbles further down the broken road and out of his way. His cane twirled beside him almost joyfully, his nimble fingers directing its movements as the others held an old book firm. His skilled thumb expertly turned the worn and yellowed page, his dark eyes ghosting the familiar words.

There was a sudden crash, the skeleton of an overturned bus rolling through the intersection before him. It smashed against a crumbling complex, spinning twice in the four way before creaking to a halt. There was a loud hiss of a queen empusa, crashing through obstacles to catch up.

The dark man summoned his shadows, a large blue bird who's feathers tinted a reflective cyan and a black panther who's red eyes struck fear into any who dared catch its gaze. With a pop in his step, he made for the danger, only to he startled to a halt.

There was a rattling bang from inside the overturned bus, then a boom and a lout shout. The bus rocked with each heavy stomp, a cloud of dust and metal erupting as the bent double doors were blown off.

"Alright, now you've done it, you son of a bitch!" Clad in heavy leather, a woman with pulled back striking red hair stepped out of the burnt mechanical carcass. The beast of a demon screeched in disapproval, the woman's eyes flashing a toxic green. Her left hand, covered in a snug white fingerless glove, a huge contrast to her black wardrobe, reached back into the buss to take hold of something.

Out came a jagged edge buster sword, the handle wrapped in a loose thick chain. The sword smashed into the ground with a deafening crack, asphalt parting beneath it. The long chain unwrapped from the hilt, slithering around the woman as if it had a mind of its own. Hook in hand, she threw the chain, snagging the queens right talon.

The woman yanked, sending the huge claw into the ground before her feet. It sunk down, becoming stuck. She grinned, stepping up the trapped appendage as she pulled her large blade from the concrete. Her tough boot caught traction on the demons scaly skin, keeping her level as it struggled. Two steps up the wriggling arm and the opposite was sent towards her chest, deflected only by the elegant twirl of the large and heavy weapon.

"Ho-ly shit..." The blue bird whistled, perching on his masters shoulder. The dark man nodded in agreement, smirk on his face as he watched curiously.

"Do we... know her?" The dark man questioned his bird, a sparkle in his grey eyes.

"Well if we don't, we're gunna."

The Red-haired woman palmed her swords hilt, dragging it up from the ground and slicing the Queen directly up the middle. Black blood rained down from the heavens, a single drop splattering across her pale cheek. The corpse sank into the ground beneath her, the dirty chain reeling back and slithering across her shoulders like a knock off Ghost Rider. The sarcastically slow clapping of the dark man reached her ears, and she reached for her buster, now strapped to her back.

"Impressive... very impressive." He praised, cane hanging from the crook in his arm as he walked nonchalantly towards her. She scoffed, arms falling to her sides as she approached him as well. They paused, only a few feet apart. "May I query your name?"

"If you tell me yours." The dark man smirked at her retort, reaching out an inked hand. She took it, giving a firm shake.

"V, and you?" Her narrowed eyes prompted his dry laugh. "Or should I just call you the Irish woman.."

"Krenterliqostohnehned." V's face contorted, lips parting as the mere thought of pronouncing her name weighed heavy on his tongue. She gave an amused smile, drawing away her hand. "You can call me Meg."

"Hahaha wow! Your parents must hate you!" The blue bird crackled as it flapped back down onto V's outstretched arm. He cursed it.

"Silence, Griffon."

"Funny," Meg scowled, placing her hands on her hips. "Coming from an overgrown pidgin."

"Alright, alright, alright! What is it with chicks insulting me?" Griffon grumbled, shuffling his tri-toed feet on the slender mans arm. His feathers ruffled with irritation. "Anyway, love this whole meet and greet, girl, Meg, you got some firepower behind that thing or you just imitating?"

"Yeah I got a bit, why?"

V watched carefully as her emerald eyes glinted in the cloudy light, pushing his suspicions of her origins towards confirmation.

"Great, 'cause Kylo Ren here ain't the strongest of noodles and we're gunna need some backup." Griffon ignored V's glare, lifting a wing to the north. "We're goin' that way, towards the Qliphoth. You interested?"

"Depends." Meg flipped a strand of curled red out of her face, long ponytail swinging behind her. Her arms crossed over her chest, pushing against the thick iron chain. "What do you two two know about a demon named Urizen?"

"Oh-hohoho! Jackpot!" Griffon flapped his large wings, taking off to circle the sky once more. V sighed, but locked eyes with the curious Meg.

"We're on our way to defeat him..." V's words had Meg cocking a brow.

"By yourself?"

"No, there are others." V shook his head, shifting his weight onto his cane. "What do you know about a man named Dante?"

"Dante is here?" Meg's face dropped in surprise, eyes looking up towards the hellish tree. "What the hell is he getting for going after Urizen?"

"Personal satisfaction." V turned to face the tree himself, the shadow of Griffon temporarily casting over their faces.

"Then I was right..." Meg let out a heavy sigh. She walked past the taller man, his bad posture stealing half his hight. She playfully knocked shoulders with him, watching over her shoulder as he stumbled. She grinned, and he let a smirk slide. "Lets go, cripple. We've got a ways to go before we even reach the base."