Chapter 84.

"I'll seek you out
Flay you alive
One more word and you won't survive
And I'm not scared of your stolen power
See right through you any hour"

***

The car ride to the coffee shop was tense and quiet, Harrys anxiety and annoyance over me coming with him, being the main factor mixed with the realisation that Maurine had been lying to both of us the entire time the cause of it.

He did not look impressed at all.

It was just hitting 7pm, and I knew Maurine would still be at the coffee shop, she would always stay back until at least 8pm of a night to get things ready for the next morning and my anxiety is sitting firmly in my throat over what I'm going to say or how I'm going to feel when I see her.

While I've grown leaps and bounds with my confidence, confrontation still isn't something I'm comfortable with, especially in regards to people I care about, and I care about Maurine.

She was such a big part of my life for so long and now it all feels like a complete lie.

It hasn't escaped me either, during the drive there as I thought more that Maurine is literally the entire reason I ever met Andy, if it wasn't for her and her relationship with David, Andy wouldn't have gone to that coffee shop considering how far away it is from his work and home, but back then I never really questioned why he went there.

Maurine never seemed to like my relationship with Andy but was never vocal about it, and that makes no sense either, but you could just tell from her mannerisms and facial expressions that she wasn't fond of us being together when I would talk about him, or she would see us together.

Did she not want me with her nephew? Is it me that she didn't like? But then why give me a job? Why be so lovely and caring towards me?

God I wish things these days made a lick of sense any more, I can't tell up from down any more.

Pulling up out the front of the coffee shop, with Steve and Jimmy parking behind us sent my heart hammering in my chest, I'm still trying to absorb all of this and deal with the sharp pain that someone else I trusted has figuratively kicked me in the teeth.

I could never do that to a person, lie to them, mislead them or trick them, and I just can't fathom how people are capable of it.

"You're sure about this, coming in with me?" Harry checks, looking over to me as he unbuckles his seatbelt with a tense expression.

"Yes, I'm sure" I tell him, following his action with my own seatbelt, and taking a coaxing breath.

"I still don't like this, not one bit" he says, not hiding his annoyance and worry over me being stubborn and not backing down over it.

"I know. But I'll be okay, I'll listen to you. I just need to find out why" I say, trying to sound reassuring but I don't think anything I say would make him feel better, it seems like any amount of risk in a situation when it comes to me just isn't something that will ever sit well with Harry.

He blows out an annoyed sigh, nodding begrudgingly, and opens the door to get out of the car and I follow.

I look to Jimmys car, where Steve waves reassuringly from the drivers seat while Jimmy gives me a thumbs up from the passenger side, I also notice Jimmy his holding a bag of some kind of food - are they nuts?; chewing with a wide open mouthed grin.

Is he ever not eating?

Harry gives them a confirming nod, which they return as Jimmy shovels another handful of nuts into his mouth.