1.3.26: K Café

It was another typical night for Xiao Yunhua as she blissfully remained unaware of what was brewing in the hospital. She lied on her bed, alone in the penthouse of Zhou Ming. As always, he wasn't there because the busy man was out doing something... not that she minded.

It was awkward enough to be in a fake relationship, but for her to see him all the time while they were away from public eye, that was a road she wasn't ready to cross. Now that didn't mean that he wasn't there occasionally, but they never really interacted.

She was bored. She sighed aloud and grabbed a random book from the bookshelf. Skimming the book, she couldn't help but feel butterflies in her stomach as the memory of the scene in his car played in her mind.

They had been so close...

One more move and they would've kissed. And this time, unlike the previous times, she actually felt herself okay with it, completely sober too. She hugged the book and sighed. She was acting like a lovesick teenager. She had a mission and she was vying for more than what was supposed to be.

She had experienced the same emotions with Zhou Lang and Qiang Yue, but why did Zhou Ming feel so different?

Her eyes fell on the title of the book. Withering Heights. The irony hit her hard. Unrequited love... was this a sign that it would turn toxic? Xiao Yunhua shook her head to clear her mind. She still many worlds and many points to collect to be allowed liberty, so she couldn't latch onto a target.

Suddenly, her phone rang. Thinking it was Zhou Ming, she answered a bit more enthusiastic than the other party expected.

"Yunhua... darling."

When she heard the voice, she grimaced and lip her bottom lip. Nearly hanging up, she instead rolled her eyes and sighed. "What do you want Kang Yiyi?"

Kang Yiyi immediately noticed the shift in her tone from her greeting to recognition and felt annoyed. Her dislike for the girl grew and she wanted to insult her again. However, she instead maintained her pleasant attitude. "Yunhua, I have important news for you."

"Go ahead... I'm listening."

"But Yunhua, I cannot tell you over the phone. It is far too drastic and important to be said on the line. I think it's best if you meet me somewhere. How about K Café in an two hours?" Kang Yiyi assumed herself as an impeccable actress; however, had she been in front of Xiao Yunhua, the latter would've immediately picked up that something was clearly off.

Xiao Yunhua glanced at the time and noticed that it was late. "You know, let's just wait until tomorrow."

"No!" Kang Yiyi exclaimed. At her urgency, the small sliver suspicion multiplied in Xiao Yunhua. "It's very important... it concerns Zhou Ming." Hearing the name of Zhou Ming, Xiao Yunhua felt her heart stop.

But there was still a part of her that suspected that Kang Yiyi was pulling tricks again. "It's late. I'm tired. Good night." She hung up and heaved a deep breath.

Her face felt hot. She didn't understand why she was so worried. The man was more than capable of taking care of himself. Yet a small part of her was still anxious. Dialing his number, he didn't answer and she went to his voicemail.

Instead of ending the call, she left a voicemail, which was unusual of her. "Hey, can you call me back as soon as you can?"

She also texted him in case he couldn't check his voicemails. She realized that she was being excessive; however, he wasn't as much of a devil as the media portrayed him. And even if she hadn't developed an unrequited love or it was merely the manipulation of the system, she treated him as her friend... her partner in this fake relationship.

She dazed off and slowly, fell asleep in a brief nap. When her eyelids fluttered open, Xiao Yunhua yawned and stretched her arms. Checking the time, she panicked because her nap had been three hours! The meeting period had long passed and Zhou Ming had not replied to her text nor call.

Her heart thumped fast. What if he was in trouble? Or maybe she was overthinking everything? Her logical side was overshadowed by her emotional side and she immediately dialed a taxi. Even though it was one hour past their meeting period, she hoped that Kang Yiyi was still waiting.

Just in case this really was a trap, she took a bold step. She texted Ni Ming a brief that if anything were to happen, she was with Kang Yiyi.

With a deep breath, Xiao Yunhu grabbed her bag and left the penthouse.