Chapter 1: News Break

"In today's continuing news, Steven Blackwell, of the Blackwell Research Industries had made it back to the country prior to spending months in the Middle East. With his return, the rallies that had spread all over United Stalwart had intensified; what with his main project— The Lesbian and Gay Gene making its waves. Marco, why don't you enlighten us further on this issue?"

"Of course, Karen. Thank you. Now, as some of our viewers probably know, the Lesbian and Gay Gene, also known as XQ21, or simply the Gay Gene, had been discovered last year by Doctor Steven Blackwell, a renowned geneticist. With this discovery, we now know that those from the LGBT are specifically born with the gene. Needless to say, it is not a choice to be gay or lesbian, as some old folks used to say. It is a natural state brought out by the body. Why or how, nobody knows."

"Good point. But Marco. . . What the people are really rallying about here isn't the discovery of XQ21, is it? It's the cure that is being proposed?"

"Well yes, Karen. There's that. Due to the recent statistical count that was uncovered—"

WE NOW INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR A FLASH REPORT. WE NOW INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR A FLASH REPORT. WE NOW INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR A FLASH REPORT.

Sometimes I think that if the world was to end today, I would be among the first ones to go.

"Pax, honey?" Mom's gentle voice echoed into my room. "What have you been watching there? It's time for school."

"Nothing, mom."

I turned the TV off before the flash report had even began, and grabbed my backpack, prepared to go down.

Sometimes I think that the world ending isn't really to have a resolution. Its purpose is to weed people. People like me who are not needed anymore.

Mom met me down the stairs, with her kindly brown eyes, kissed my cheek, and gave me a look.

"Are you sure it's nothing?" She pried. "But why do you look so pale?"

"She always looks pale." My dad, Owen Leighton, emerged from his study, kissed me on the cheek too. "Now, now, Christie." He gave mom a pointed glance. "Don't be too Doctor-ish before having breakfast with our daughter. You know having two surgeon's in this house is awkward enough."

Both of them then continued to the kitchen, with me following right behind.

Sometimes I think that if the world was to end, it would go in sparkling colors.

"Breakfast, honey?" Mom gave me a look. "Oh, Pax. . . You're still spacing out."

"Sorry, mom."

But not once did I think that it was going to be like this.

I went around the kitchen table, gave a fake smile as my dad handed me a plate.

That I'd be forced into hiding— that I would somehow find a reason to live.

I filled my plate with pancakes, drizzled it with syrup.

That I would fight for my life because I had always been weak.

THE LESBIAN GENE

"Are you really sure you don't want one of us staying here? Your father and I could take a break."