Chapter 2: Outbreak

Chapter 2: Outbreak

Easier said than done, I thought, as I began the long procession to Audra.

In reality, the girl was just a stone's throw away. But in my mind's eye? Hoo! It was an eternity, riddled with all those swinging booby traps and boulders that would roll out of the corner my way.

I yelped when a classmate bumped onto me.

"What's the matter with you, Pax?" she said. "You're really jumpy today. It's making me feel nervous."

I didn't answer whoever that was and stared back at my goal. Audra was now looking like a Princess, kidnapped by this evil overlord that would kill me if I took one more step.

"Stop this!" I reminded myself. "Don't you want to thank her at least? Act normal for once in your life?"

Audra must have heard whatever I said because she turned around on her chair and looked straight at me after I said that. Immediately, my throat tightened.

Holy cow!

Holy cow, she's looking at me! What now?!

Thankfully, before I was given yet another opportunity to speak, or talk to Audra, the teacher— Mrs. Jenkins, entered the room, taking her intoxicating floral scent with her.

I coughed with the other students, but the big, heavily made-up teacher didn't seem to mind. In fact, her eyes were too far away, her lips opening and closing like she had something to say but didn't know how.

All of us who were standing, especially me, hurried to return to our seats.

"Don't bother," Mrs. Jenkin's said, in her opera-like voice. The kind that would shatter glasses and windows if she so wanted to scream. "We're not conducting classes today, just to let you know. All of you must follow me instead."

A glance to my right told me that everyone, not only me, was surprised with this sudden announcement. Mrs. Jenkins had told us specifically yesterday that we would read some poetry in the morning. She was even excited about it. Poetry was Mrs. Jenkin's first love, according to her. But what made her change her mind?

All of us turned to look when a man in black suddenly entered the room. He wasn't a substitute teacher; that thing's for sure. But who was he?

The man was wearing all black from head to toe, kind of like what the military would wear when they were out on a covert mission. Except his helmet was fully covering his face, and he had walked in such a strange manner, like he didn't really know whether to walk in or dash to us at all. His head tilted to me before he proceeded to address us. "Students. . ." he said in this deep, raspy voice. "All of you must now proceed upstairs. No talking. No texting. And leave all of your valuables behind. Including your phones."

Nobody wanted to move, of course. What had he expected? Scratch that. What had Mrs. Jenkin's expect? And why was she exiting the room without telling us much about it?

The mysterious man turned to us once more. "That was not a request," he hissed. "All of you. . . Move."

The hallway was filled with shuffles and bustles, mostly from my classmates, as the corridor was surprisingly empty enough.

"Look," one of my classmates whispered. Someone I hadn't talked to even once, but right now was close to breaking my arm, what with her incessant squeezing. "Look, guys. All of the other rooms are vacant."

Sure enough, the classrooms that we passed had been emptied out prior. Had been unloaded, cleared, as if something like a bomb had exploded.

Only, you know. . . None of us in my class had seemed to hear it. Or notice it, which was strange.