Chapter 4: SOS

Chapter 4: SOS

Dead. That's what I was to the world— dead. And how wouldn't I be? It was impossible to be caught mid-air in a somersault; by Hanz or not, strong man or not. Plus, it felt like my soul had left my body as I fell. Wasn't that the first sign of dying?

After a few seconds, Hanz placed me down with a huge, huge grin. Did this mean that he was dead too?

"Great!" he said, not breaking a sweat from the catch. "You did great, Pax!" Cupping his mouth with his hands, he called on to someone next. "She's safe! Audra, come down!"

I turned to look behind me. To see what Audra would do. But already, she had jumped without a moment's notice.

Minus her wings, Audra's hair was swept behind her, an exhilarated look flushing her face upon her landing.

An angel. That's what she was. Hanz, Audra, and I had gone to heaven. But then. . .

Another moment and Neil was there too. Crap. I had definitely died and gone to hell.

Glancing at me, Neil did what every demon would do. "What the fuck are you staring at, Pax Leighton? Did the fall shake your head?"

See? See, he was the devil? See? But how did we die?

My nose wrinkled. I know! There must had been a bus crash before we had even gone to school. It was the only way the four of us could have been together. Because what happened next was too impossible to think of.

Me being pushed out the window? Men in black? People in lab gowns? Of course that was all a dream. What had I been thinking of?

"Pax looks like she's in shock." Hanz waved his hand at me. "Hey, you okay?"

I didn't answer him. But wait. Would God— or whoever the supreme being waiting for us, eject me out of heaven because technically I was being rude? Or worse? And what was Neil doing here anyway? It was impossible to have him in heaven with us. Not even close.

Neil rolled his eyes at the two, but the three of them all stared upwards following another blast. "Damn," Neil said. "For a second, I'd almost forgotten about that. Can we just go? Like now, before we die?"

Hanz pointed to his Jeep, nudged a head at Audra. "I'll drive. You tell me what's going on."

I never realized that going to your final destination meant that you have to travel by car, literally. I mean, this was cool to save us all the time and exhaustion and all. But then, wouldn't we still feel okay going by foot even if we walked on and on?

"I don't like her face," Hanz whispered, as we rolled out of the school grounds, him driving in front.

"Who, Pax?" Neil snorted like it wasn't anything new. "She's always like that. Spaced out."

Audra, who was sitting on the backseat with Neil, leaned forward towards me. And whispered. "You okay, Pax? You're really starting to worry everyone."

"Not everyone." Neil snorted. "And why are you worried about that, Audra? What about us? What about me? We're the ones being chased by those morons. Not only her."

"But why?" Hanz's face was taut and concentrated, driving now as fast as he could, to whatever place in heaven we were off to. "Why such a need? And who is behind this?"

Silence. Then Audra leaned back on her seat, stared out the window. "If I recall," she said. "Those people attached some things on me before trying to inject me with a liquid."

"Then, when I came into the room where she was," Neil added, "Audra was already torturing this guy—"

"Interrogating," Audra corrected.