Chapter 5: Turned

Chapter 5: Turned

I didn't know that Hanz had such a colorful life in his home, much more his mothers were more or less just like me. So when he dropped the bomb, all I could do was stare at the three who entered the room, marvelled at how similar all of them looked despite the circumstances.

It was Neil, eyebrows cocked up, mouth dropped open, who started the questions. As I knew that he would. "So, you're like. . . How do I put it, Peterson? Left by your real parents?"

"Neil!"

I quickly glanced at Audra, who among the two, had the decency to look embarrassed. Only, Hanz had shrugged, unaffected by the question Neil threw at him. "Yup, you can say that," he admitted, the good-natured smile never leaving his face. In fact, it was added by a reverie aimed towards the women by his side. He must really, really loved them. "These two women adopted me since I was a baby anyways, so there was no bad blood towards me and the birth givers."

"I see. . ." Audra trailed her response to him, but to Neil she didn't give another reprimand, like I expected she would. How exactly could she stand him?

Emily— the one who'd placed the down the tray on the table, though, glanced at the television, frowned at the blank reception. "So," she said, getting to a businesslike tone. "Hanz said he'd brought a couple of friends over. Said it was important?"

"Just how important?" Olivia added. "We were about to sit down for some juice ourselves, but when Hanz here walked through the kitchen on a school day, we knew that something was up. Care to explain why you're all skipping class?"

Hanz, Audra, plus me and Neil, exchanged anxious glances. Of course, that was what we were here for, right? It was so easy to imagine that none of what occurred earlier had actually happened, but there it was, slapping us right back.

Hanz turned to Olivia who was waiting for an answer. "Ma, something's happening at school. The three of them were chased by these. . . these men."

"Men?"

Hanz looked uncomfortable. "I was following Pax in school to talk to her for a second, then I saw their class being ushered into a room. After a while, there was a commotion. And then they were chased outside. I helped them escape."

Immediately, the protective expression on Hanz's mother's took over. Especially on Emily's, who a moment ago probably thought we were there for juice and biscuits. Or probably to skip class like some teenagers did. "Have you notified the police?" she said.

"About that," Audra remarked. "Our phones are back in the school. They forced us to leave them in our bags. And we don't know what's happening, who we could turn to."

"And you actually complied?" Olivia looked astonished.

"Well, those were pretty weird-looking people, to be fair." Hanz explained. "I left my own phone in the bag by accident too, in the classroom right before I trailed after Pax."

He was just looking at me for confirmation when, again, I remembered something important. It had almost slipped my mind. "Your phone," I said, the agitation making its way into my voice. "It's not working, and I need to call my parents."

"Right." Emily turned to face me, as if she knew exactly that my parents would be worried by now. Probably what she'd feel if Hanz wasn't here by her side too. "My cellphone is upstairs," she told me. "Why don't you and I go there and fetch it while Hanz and the others tell Liv about the school? It would give you some time to calm down."

Liv? That's what she must call Olivia privately.

Glancing at Hanz, all he did was nod at me. Which made me feel better anyhow, despite what happened.