t w e n t y t w o

SOMEHOW I MANAGED not to stab myself in the eyeball while attempting to apply a coat of black mascara to my eyelashes

SOMEHOW I MANAGED not to stab myself in the eyeball while attempting to apply a coat of black mascara to my eyelashes. It was a damn miracle. I blink a couple times before glancing into the small desk mirror and nod, realising I did a semi okay job at making myself look presentable. 

I stand up, running my hands down the dark material of my dress and glancing down at my scuffed converse. I wish I had better shoes but it was either these, my running sneakers or my Birkenstocks. I really gotta go shopping. 

Just as I take my cross body bag off the back of my desk chair, the door swings open and Chase walks through. He glances at me as he closes the door behind him, his hazel eyes scaling me from head to toe. 

He frowns, "Where are you going?" 

"My mom and cousin are visiting for the weekend. They're taking me out for lunch." I beam excitedly as Chase crosses the room and perches on the edge of the bed, "I haven't seen them since I arrived here and I miss them so damn much." 

"I can tell." Chase nods as he glances up at me, "It's perfect timing actually. Noah and Levi are coming over to play so they can sit on your bed." 

"They do that anyway." I roll my eyes as I drape my denim jacket over my forearm. 

"Yeah, but this time you won't kick them off to take your fucking granny nap." Chase snorts with a small smirk as he kicks off his shoes, sending them flying across into my half of the room. I grumble under my breath. 

"Well, how do I look?" I question, opening my arms wide and glancing down at my chest. "This is the nicest dress I own." 

"You—uh—nice—fuck—I mean—shit—You...you look nice, Jones." Chase says, extremely flustered as he runs his hand through his hair as he tries to look at anything in the room but me. Nice. Seriously Everett?

"Okay..." I frown, confused as I stuff my dorm key into my bag, "I probably won't be back later so feel free to bring one of your lady friends around." 

"Can you not be here more? It's fucking heaven." Chase grins cheekily at me as I walk to the door, swallowing the lump of dread knowing that our kiss really meant nothing and that he's still Chase Everett; fuck boy extraordinaire.

I laugh sarcastically as I pull my middle finger at him and open the door with my other hand. I close the door behind me, stepping out into the hallway and taking a deep breath before quickly jogging down the stairs. 

I make it to the front of the school, the perfectly flat gravel path crunching under the weight of my shoes as I round the edge of the large brick building and past the manicured bushes. 

I spotted a grey car parked directly outside the school's main entrance into Hawthorne Building, the main structure at the front of the campus that houses staff offices as well as the admissions office.