Thirteen

Rose

The morning was beginning to unfold like a flower's first opening, it's beautiful, vibrant colours spreading to bloom. The yellow shining sun started rising from the ground.

It filled the sky with pastel colours of red and splashed the clouds with endless rays of pink. It was beaming and enthralling as it invited me to stare, deep into the horizon.

I brought my hand over my eyes to shield them from the unwelcome intruder called the sun.

Yawning, Gage stretched beside me, exhaling slowly as he gazed out into the sunrise, a small yet peaceful smile on his face.

"Genevieve loved the sunrise. She'd always sing that song," Gage told me, chuckling to himself as he thought for a moment as to what the song was. "Um, you know that one? I'm walking on sunshine! Ohh!" I smiled, chuckling softly at his singing as I glanced up at him, sighing gently.

"For like a month, she made us wake up an hour before the sunrise because 'it's an extra hour to live'." Gage sighed, wistfully, his eyes staring out as they twinkled. "I wish I never complained. I'd do anything to have another hour with her."

I smiled at him, a sympathetic look on my face. It was clear how much he truly loved Genevieve and I did not want to get in the way of that.

True love was filled in his eyes and I could see how desperate, and hopeful he was that she would wake up. He wanted his girl back so badly. I felt extremely bad for him and realised something; life was too short to be playing around.

"She'll be back," I told him quietly as he glanced down at me, his eyebrows raising a little. "And you'll both be watching the sunrise before you know it. Just believe, Gage. .and don't give up."

He smiled warmly at me. "Come on. We better head back."

As we strolled, I watched my feet take steps across the concrete ground, my dusty sneakers next to the shined, expensive trainers of Gage.

Silence was between us but it was a comfortable silence. Peaceful and mind settling; it calmed me and I enjoyed it.

Morning was breaking out and already, the birds were testing their throats. I listen to their melody, the birds rising, swooping, resting, just as they do.

Every movement that is so natural to them is reflected in their tune, the way they turn their heads with gentle precision, hop upon branches and dive into the garden air.

I watched them, smiling before they flew away and once again, I was following our feet walking on the path peacefully, the morning giving me a bounce to my steps.

But the feeling of joy suddenly faded away. Once again, I was walking however that time, my body seemed more tense.

Frequently, my head would snap around, glancing behind me to only see the same figures. . .the same figures that had been there for the last ten minutes.

That was when I knew what the uneasy feeling was.

I was not imagining this. I could feel a pair of cold eyes staring into the back of my head, and in that moment, I knew I was in danger.

I walked with caution, my eyes glancing over at Gage to see if he could feel the same way I did. But he was casually walking, not a care in the world.