domestic bliss

I've been watching Jennie sleep for hours. It's the first time I can remember her facing toward me. I don't sleep, so I've gotten used to her subconscious habits. In between ten and fifteen minutes, she will roll over to my side of the bed and sleep on her stomach for roughly an hour. Then, she will turn the pillow over to the cold side, turning it to an angle and move on to her back with an arm around her head. She really does sleep in uncomfortable-looking positions.

She's been dreaming. I keep seeing her smile. I wonder what she's dreaming of.

One of the times my cousin Taehyung stayed over here, Jin decided we should all sleep downstairs because it would be easier to raid the fridge at midnight without waking our parents up. I was eleven years old and I never did make it until midnight because they were boring me at ten thirty. I fell asleep soon after. I woke up at one a.m. to the two of them laughing at me because I was sleeping with my arms folded over my chest like a vampire. It was one of those 'remember when' stories they liked to frequently bring up to embarrass me with.

It was a small couch, that's my excuse.

Jennie will be moving any minute, so I take one last look at her face before sitting up and moving off the bed. My makeshift bed on the floor by the window is still made up from yesterday. I usually fold it away in case one of her parents decide to walk in here and see an extra bed. I'm sure they would ask a few questions. I'm not breaking my promise to her, I'll still be in the room.

"Where are you going?" Jennie asks me with a low voice, suddenly awake.

I turn back around and whisper: "I'll just be over there. Go back to sleep."

Her eyes close again when I assume she knows I'm still visible to her, she mumbles out something that sounds like, "Come back."

"You move around a lot at this time of the night. I'll be on the floor. I won't leave."

Her response is pulling back the covers I was resting on top of.

"You won't sleep properly if you stay in the same position all night," I try to reason with her, not wanting her to ache in the morning.

Her arm stretches out to the space next to her and she pats it with her sleepy hand, her eyes stay closed.

"Jennie." I smile. She's stubborn even half-awake.

"I sleep better when you're with me," she confesses.

The statement obliterates my resolve and potential stubborn streak and carefully get back onto the bed. I can almost feel her body heat. It's nice. She throws the covers over me and moves away from my body a little, mindful not to have an incident like earlier, I assume. She's still facing me. "Why?" I have to ask.

"I feel safe when you're with me," she replies quietly, making me wonder if that statement was conscious.

With her eyes closed, she can't see how my smile threatens to split my face in half. "Go back to sleep. I'll be here in the morning."

"'night, Jisoo," she whispers, her breaths evening out seconds after.

"Sweet dreams."

Jennie is making lots of noise in the kitchen this morning. She's trying to cook pancakes for breakfast. I was asked to make them, but I said that she at least had to try first. Besides, I wanted to see if she could pull off wearing an apron. She can, in case you were wondering.

I don't know how one person can make such a mess in making something as simple as pancakes. She spins around with the spatula in her hand, a smear of white flour going across the red material of her apron. "How come you don't have bed hair?"