temptation

Not resting next to Jennie this past week and a half has been much harder than I had anticipated. I thought it would just be for the one night, but she won't have it. She never wakes up when I pull the comforter off her bed and lie down on the floor next to her after hearing the wind pick up outside. The extra covers keep her warm.

When I know her sleep isn't deep enough to move next to her without disrupting it, I just move my pillow to the bottom of the bed and watch her. Not in a stalker way but more of a God-you're-beautiful kind of way.

I'm not in any kind of hurry to collapse on the kitchen floor again, but there are so many times I want to touch her, to feel her skin against my own. There are so many times my hand gravitates toward hers when we walk anywhere and the only reason I realise what I'm doing is because of the only reason I would ever stop.

It's Jennie's parents first day back to work after the Christmas break today and I would have felt sorry for them if I cared even just a little bit. They left her a list of things to do that she didn't look impressed by. I think it's mainly just chores. I'll help her. It's not like I have anything better to do.

The door to the living room opens and Jennie makes the edge of her rubber gloves snap back just prior to the moment my bright eyes catch hers. Her hair is up today and her exposed neck is tempting these lips more than I can say.

"Do you want a mask to go with that?" I ask her teasingly.

"Cute." She grins quickly. "Okay, tough choice to make. Vacuuming,or go looking for cobwebs with the, uh...the duster thing."

We don't have cobwebs in this house. "As thrilling as the 'duster thing' sounds, I'll vacuum."

"Can you really do that?"

"Yes, Jennie. I know how to use a vacuum."

"No." Her yellow rubber hand comes up in the air a little and waves it in the direction of the foyer. "I just meant that it's an electrical appliance. It won't react with you or anything, right?"

"I make you coffee every morning. I think we're safe."

She sits down heavily and rests her feet on the edge of the coffee table. "A coffee sounds awesome, thank you."

She hasn't even started yet! "Knock yourself out. I'll be busy."

Jennie pulls some sort of disappointed face and makes me smile as she gets back up from the chair. "Rules first: Under no circumstances will I have you go through the entire list and do most of it for me, crossing off what you've done so I don't do it as well, understood?" She arches an eyebrow at my smirk. "And there's no way I could possibly let you check the front lawn for dog sh-"

"Okay," I cut in, smiling despite myself. "I think I have the rules memorised," I say mockingly.

She points toward the kitchen. "I'll be in there or outside taking out the trash that smells wonderful."

"I'm sure I'll find you somehow."

As soon as she leaves the room, I shake my head, busying myself trying to untangle the cable attached to the vacuum, all the while aware I'm still faintly smiling.

Five minutes later I've finally got it untangled and proceed to complete the difficult task of pressing the power on button. When Jin was ever made to vacuum the living room, he always went around the furniture and the coffee table and was finished in less than two minutes. I take about ten. If you think that's a long time, you should meet my mother.

I was trying to watch a pivotal scene in a movie once when she decided to do some housework. I turned the volume up and sighed when she kept stepping in my line of view to the television, and my mouth dropped open when she accidentally unplugged the TV thinking that it was the vacuum plug.