chapter thirty-six

the beginnings
of something great

your p.o.v

          "This is impossible."

          "For once, I'm almost inclined to agree with you."

          I glanced between my two friends as we sat together in the "secret" clearing within the woods near the resort, only a handful of other students having their own picnic out here along with us as we sit on the lush green grass with the sun high up in the sky above us. "Guys, you can do this. It's just a duet."

          Masato sighed, his eyes closing as he looks downward. "But this is a song you created just for us..." He murmured.

          Ren nodded where he sits across from the blue haired boy, the three of us sitting in a triangle shape of sorts. "You worked so hard to make us such great songs, little lamb. We don't want it to be for nothing."

          "You two are almost halfway through the song now, you're making great progress so you can take a break if you want to. Both of you earned it." I responded, looking back down to my laptop as I continue working on the third of four different Quartet Night sample songs I've been playing around with for the last couple of days now. "Or, if you don't want to take a full break, work on writing the lyrics to your solo songs. You know yourselves best so maybe taking a minute to work out your solo songs and start those lyrics will help you both better create the duet song lyrics together. That's just a thought though."

          "It's worth a try." Ren chuckled. "You're as supportive as ever, Lady."

          A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips, my cursor moving a few more notes here and there on the ledger line before adding in a repeat sign at the end of the measure. "Like I said, I believe in you and I believe in Masa."

          "Thank you." The blue haired boy responded with ease, a small blush dusting over his cheeks as Ren picks up his phone and they both plug in their headphones in order to start working on their solo songs.

          Todays a day everyone has been given off to work extra hard on their duet project songs. We have roughly a week and a half before our vacation is officially over so now it's up to the idol students to hurry and create their lyrics before the day we return to Tokyo inevitably falls upon us. Some composers still haven't finished their songs though so I doubt many of us will have finished this project by the deadline. I wonder what Ryuuya, Ringo, and the other teachers will do if an overwhelming amount of students aren't finished?

          Would they extend the due date? Doubt it, this is meant to be a challenge. But could they really just fail a ton of students? Even failing the idol students whose composers were too slow in composing to give them a song to write lyrics for? That would feel unfair. Gosh, I truly wonder what the outcome of this project is going to be...

          Looking up to the sky filled with fluffy white clouds, I halfheartedly listened to Ren and Masato murmuring possible lyrics under their breaths as they listen to their two solo songs through their headphones, choosing to stay out here with me as I compose Quartet Night's possible debut pieces. It's a really nice day out, no storm clouds in sight, the wind not too harsh but still there for a warm breeze to keep it from feeling stuffy, and there are little insects around so that makes for this to be a rather relaxing place to compose and write lyrics in all honesty. And it's just an added bonus that off in the distance I can see Kuppuru chasing after a butterfly and trying to jump at it as it flies just barely out of reach for his little black cat claws to snatch.