chapter thirty-seven

the   night   of
realization

your p.o.v

"Do you ever just look at a group of guys and think wow are they gay?"

My eyes slowly shifted up from my laptop and over to one of my two roommates, Tomo-chan sitting across from me at the small little table placed near the top of the beach, our friends all enjoying the ocean once more while Haruka is once again hauled up in her hotel room in order to further improve her compositions. "Who do you think is gay now?" I asked, this not being the first time Tomochika has randomly blurted things out with it just being the two of us together. "Because last time you were sure Ringo was and that clearly wasn't right."

The burgundy haired girl shook her head, strands flowing some in the light breeze that's blowing past. "Nah, he may cross-dress, but Ringo does seem pretty interested in you so I'll give him a pass and maybe go with bi. But look," she paused as she pointed out to the ocean, "you can't honestly tell me six hot guys playing out in the ocean together doesn't look gay."

I followed her finger over to where our friends are all enjoying the refreshing glistening water of Okinawa's ocean. They're not really doing anything all that weird. Ren and Masato are talking to one another while skillfully dodging all of Otoya's splash attacks while Tokiya fails to do just that and ends up being tackled by that overly excited puppy, both Ren and Masato just watching as their stoic friend is dragged under the shallow water. And then there's Natsuki who's carrying Syo around almost like a doll, swinging him about as the shorter blonde yells to be released and yeah, okay, I can kind of see where Tomo-chan is going with this.

Shrugging, I returned to fixing up some of Quartet Night's compositions. After listening more to the four members individual songs, ideas came to me on how I can better the trial songs and have them sound more like something the four of them together might sing. "I don't think they're gay. Close, but not gay." I responded. "Otherwise Otoya wouldn't have confessed."

Tomo-chan groaned, shoving her chin into the palms of her hands as she looks at me with a pout. "Why do I have to be the only gay one here? Can't you be a good friend and let me pretend someone else can relate to me while I'm surrounded by straight people?"

"You are literally dating Haruka," I said with a deadpanned expression gracing my features, "what do you mean surrounded by straight people?"

"Haru doesn't count because we're dating. Everyone else we're friends with is straight and has the hots for a certain other composer I happen to be roommates with." She mumbled dejectedly.

"Is it really the end of the world if you can't talk to someone about how great girls are?"

"I'll die if I can't vent how great Haru is to someone."

I rolled my eyes at my friend's theatrics. "I'm sure you'll live. Why not join some online forum or something for lesbians where you can gush over Haruka? Those have to exist."

Tomo-chan huffed. "I want a friend who can relate, not random strangers online."

"Well, I'm not gay."

"I mean, you're not falling for these handsome boys that are two steps away from throwing themselves at you so even I'm beginning to question some things."

"You're special." I mused, once again rearranging the four intro segments to the third trial song for what feels like the millionth time now as Tokiya's screams for Otoya to let him go ring out over the joyous laughter of the other students enjoying some of our last free days on vacation.