Chapter 28

Thank you for 2,000 reads!

I ignored the looks people were giving me as I continued to run. I kept looking behind me to check if I was being followed but I didn’t see anyone willing to kidnap me.

I ran inside the apartment building and up the stairs before getting the key that Harry had gave me. I cursed under my breath when I dropped the keys. Picking them up with shaking hands, I finally managed to open the door and run in.

Once the door slammed shut Harry walked out of the kitchen. He looked over at me with worry written all over his face “what’s wrong?”  When I didn’t reply he walked over and rested his hands on my shoulders and bent down to my level.

“Melissa, tell me what’s wrong”

I took a deep breath “It’s Matt”

He looked at me confused “what’s Matt?”

“He’s the insider” Harry tensed up and he set his jaw. He was still for a couple of minutes before he grabbed my hand and dragged me into the bedroom.

He picked up two bags and started to throw our clothes in them. “What are you doing?”

“You’re not safe in Brooklyn” with that he zipped both the bags up and walked out of the room. I followed him as he picked up his phone and keys and walked out of the apartment. We ran over to his car and got in.

“Where are we going?” Harry started the car and backed out of the parking space “don’t know but we need to see Sam first”

How long had Matt betrayed me? He said that he didn’t have a choice and had to do it, if that is true then what happened to make him agree and most importantly, how did Jack know Matt was one of my best friends.

This leads me back to the other night with Jade, how she knew where Harry lived without me telling her. I defiantly didn’t tell her and the way she refused to look me in the eye when I asked her makes me believe that Harry might’ve been right.

“We’re here”

I looked up and realised that we were at the house. We both got out and Harry quickly grabbed my hand before jogging to the door and opening it. He pulled me down the long hallway before reaching Sam’s office. Harry didn’t even knock and walked straight in.

Sam looked up startled but calmed down when he realised it was just me and Harry. He frowned at the look on Harry’s face. He took his glasses off and stood up from his desk “what happened?” Harry gave my hand a squeeze before talking “Melissa need to leave town now

My gaze moved to the window when I saw something move from the corner of my eye. It was dark so I couldn’t make it out but I swear I saw something go past the window.

“Melissa...” I turned my head back to Sam. He looked over at the window and back to me “what happened?”

“Matt is the insider” he looked taken back by what I just said. He sat back down in his chair and shook his head “Matthew?” I slowly nodded my head when he looked at me again.

Matt and I had been friends since we were little, before we met Jade. Matt’s family had moved across the road from Sam’s house, when me and Danny lived with him. We went to the same school and got along very well. Sam became close friends with Matt’s father.

“It was a set up” Harry looked down at me as I spoke again.  “Damian and a few others were waiting to take me” Harry gave my hand another squeeze for me to continue “Matt took me out the back and told me to run but not before he told me that he didn’t have a choice for betraying me and Danny”

“Did he say anything else?” I nodded my head “he said he wasn’t the only one” Sam sighed and rested his elbows on the desk. He rubbed his eyes with his hands “Harry, take her to the safe house in Chicago, that way she is out of the city”

Just before Harry could reply, there was a massive bang, like a gun going off and then the window smashed. Harry shouted something before grabbing me and pushing me to the ground. He laid above me as the bullets continued to come through the window.