Chapter 4

The entire hotel staff was notified that tonight there would be a large party in the main event room. Roughly 1,000 people were expected to show up, and as per usual, the maid staff would be there to clean up any messes that were bound to be made. We were always very nervous about events like these because we had to be on our best behaviour in front of the millionaires that would be hosting this gathering. Apparently, this was a charity event, but I didn't believe it. Oh, rich people and their excuses to have lavish parties. 

Although we were the cleaning crew, we still needed to look presentable, in an effort to blend in a bit better instead of our light blue and white uniforms. Tonight we traded those in for black dress pants and white button-down shirts. My long, chocolate brown hair was in a high ponytail as it normally was, and the only make up I was permitted to wear was foundation and concealer. Thank god for that.

I couldn't help but wonder if Josh would be there tonight. He certainly was rich, that was no secret, and he was famous so why wouldn't he be there? Only time will tell.

****

"Remember to keep calm, no matter what, okay?" Elle reminded me, and I nodded slowly, remembering the guy in the grey suit from yesterday. "These people aren't worth it." That certainly was true. Losing my temper also meant losing my job, and I wasn't ready for that. It was best to just bite my tongue until I tasted blood.

"Okay, let's get working," I said, grabbing a broom. 

Guests had been talking, drinking, laughing, talking and dropping ridiculous amounts of money for causes they couldn't even pronounce. Not to mention the spilt alcohol on the dance floor, occasional piles of vomit in the corner of the room, and leftover food that seemed to be everywhere except the garbage can. 

My blood was boiling, and I just kept biting my tongue before I exploded, saying something that would surely get me fired. 

I kept my head down as I swept the floor, bits of food and such being pushed into the dustpan I held in my other hand. 

I hadn't looked up at all during my rage induced cleaning spree, and it showed when I bumped into a tall figure. 

"Sorry," I mumbled, keeping my head down. The figure was in front of me still, not moving. I noticed their shoes were shiny, and they wore navy blue dress pants. I had a pretty good feeling about who this person was.

Looking up giggling slightly and shaking my head, I laid my eyes on Josh. He smiled back at me and stood there awkwardly. 

"You're everywhere, aren't you?" I joked, laughing a bit, and he did the same.

"The hotel's only so big, you know." 

He was speaking to me differently than everyone else had that night; with respect.

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked and was answered by a man holding a microphone, leaning on the sleek black, baby grand piano at the front of the room. 

"Ladies and gentleman, can we please welcome Mr. Josh Groban!?" Josh's face turned the same shade of red I had seen before, and he bashfully walked up to the piano. 

"Good evening, everyone." He announced, speaking into the microphone that was situated near the piano, a perfect level so Josh could speak directly into it without moving. "I'll be singing a song called, 'She's Always a Woman'." 

The whole room seemed to stop what they were doing, to watch him. His hands glided over the ivory keys, his foot counting the beats and his mouth releasing the softest, smoothest, pleasing voice I had heard in a long time. 

I had Googled Josh before, but I didn't actually take the time to listen to his music. I only watched his TV show. He truly was multitalented.

I was at an angle that he could look directly at me without it appearing that he was looking directly at me, so I didn't really know if it was convenient or he truly did want to look at me.

"She's frequently kind, and she's suddenly cruel, she can do as she pleases, she's nobody's fool,"

Poetry fell from Josh's lips, catching me in a trance, unable to look anywhere other than into his eyes. Luckily for me, there were many people crowded around me, so nobody could really tell that I was so immersed in his essence. 

"But she's always a woman to me," 

He finished the song, holding onto the last note as long as he could, his hands trailing off and playing a gorgeous melody to finish his stellar performance. 

The room erupted into claps, whistles and cheers, leaving Josh to stand up, and give a little bow before heading back toward me. The people around me had gone back to doing their own thing, leaving just me and Josh alone in the corner of the room.

"That was..." I attempted to praise him, but he silenced me by dipping his head slightly like he had the other day but the only difference was that I didn't turn away. My lips finally met his, the feeling of his beard tickling my face slightly but I never minded anyway. I could feel his lips curve into a smile against mine.

That's when I realized where I was, what I was doing, who I was doing it with, and who I was. 

I pulled away, my broom and dustpan still in my hands, bringing me back to reality. The expression on my face was almost incomprehensive, mainly because I didn't even know how I was feeling. 

I was ready to walk away, but as I did, he grabbed my elbow gently, bringing me back to look him in his brilliant eyes once again. 

"Let me take you to dinner sometime," He said quietly. "Please." 

I thought about it, not able to give him an answer. I released my arm from his grip, walking into a sea of people, looking for garbage that needed to be picked up. At this point, anything to avoid giving Josh an answer seemed like a good idea.

The night was almost over, and the majority of people had left. The only people left worked at the hotel. Or so I thought.

I peered around the room, looking for anything that needed to be taken care of when I saw Josh sitting at a table alone. Oh right, that needed to be taken care of.

I reluctantly walked over to him, my legs feeling like they could give out at any moment, my head spinning and my heart beating out of pure anxiety.

"Hey," I approached Josh, sitting in the empty chair beside him. He looked up at me and looked a little deflated. Like he was a sugar-crazed child and someone told him that there was no more ice cream. Or like a golden retriever who just wanted to play outside, but can't seem to find their toys.

"So I thought about what you said..." 

He smirked sadly and ran his hands over his thighs. "Look, I know what you're going to say," He said, trying to sound like I hadn't made him feel awful although I know I did. 

"Yes." 

He raised an eyebrow, confused. "Yes, I'll go for dinner with you sometime." I nodded, smiling slightly. 

"I'd really like that." He spoke, his warm presence brightening the mood like it had every other time we met. He had a tendency to just light up a room when he walked in, between his sarcastic jokes, warm smile, and not to mention his gorgeous face. 

"Me too."

What do I have to lose? I thought. 

Everything.

****

Hey guys! So I'm really bored today, ergo, I wrote like a mad woman. Now off to watch some Netflix, see Y'all very soon! Don't forget to comment, vote and add to your library.

~Melissa xoxo