XXII

As soon as the heavy door to the apartment closed behind me, I felt a wave of anxiety take over my body. Forget butterflies in my stomach; I was full-on panicking even if my exterior was business as usual.

"Gaël, I'm home from the market!" I called out through the apartment in Russian. Ashton would know something was up since I wasn't speaking English nor was I using his first name.

I kicked my heels off before moving to set the groceries on the counter. I would have put them away, but Ashton came out of our bedroom with a smile on his face, playing the part.

"Hey, Babe," he murmured before I pecked his lips. "Was it busy?" Curiosity and worry were lurking deep in his pupils.

Ashton started to put the bags in the fridge. It was all of them but I don't think either of us was focusing on the chip bags in the fridge. This was a matter of life and death. "Not too bad for mid-day," I hummed, brushing past him and heading to our bedroom. My feet padded on the wood while I shook off my black coat, placing it on the bed. "When did you get home?" I asked with the intention of finding out if Ashton had been him this afternoon or if Potvin had called him in for another favor. It seemed he was doing that more and more often, taking advantage of Ashton's skills and hands before we travelled to Israel. Even before the sniper assassination, Potvin had been getting more needy. Now we were at the apex of dependency.

"Ten minutes ago," he responded casually, following me into the bedroom. "What do you want to do for dinner?"

"I was thinking we could go out," I turned to face him, speaking to Ashton with my eyes. There were bugs in this apartment, I was sure of it. Every conversation as of this afternoon, at the very least, was being recorded. Who knows if they have cameras too. Considering the fact that both Ashton and I are extremely valuable targets, I would expect there to be video recorders. It's not like we could check though, it would just tip our CIA friends off. If they thought we were clueless, the easier our escape would be. If we were really lucky, they'd believe our acts and think they had the wrong people, especially since they had only just found us today.

"But we both have to shower first. It's disgustingly humid outside." Humid and subzero; the perfect recipe for hypothermia. Tonight would be fucking fun.

"Mhm," Ashton hummed, putting his hands on my broad hips and walking us backwards.

"Maybe I could join you."I smirked, my delicate hands running from his neck down his T-shirt covered chest as my feet hit the cool tiles.

"I think that's a great idea, Baby." Ashton pushed me back, his hands lifting my thighs as he did so, so I was sitting on the edge of the counter in the bathroom. His plump lips brushed mine before kissing me more aggressively. I had kissed Ashton in public before, but this was a completely different type of performance. I wasn't going to fuck him, but we both knew we had to get pretty darn close to it for this to work.My hands slipped under his shirt, feeling the ridges of his abs while pulling the grey cotton over his head, momentarily parting our lips only for Ashton to return them to my jawline. He peppered firey kisses until he reached my neck where Ashton started to nip at the sensitive skin. One of his hands unhooked my bra while the other held firmly on my ass at the same time as I undid his belt buckle, breathing heavily and letting out the occasional moan as Ashton worked his way down my creamy skin.

Most were fake but I'd be lying if I said one or two weren't real. I think anyone could make you moan if they happened to hit your sweet spot, so I didn't think much of it. I couldn't afford to.

Ashton was too dangerous for me to catch feelings for. Besides, he was hot. That's all this was.Ashton pulled off my bra and my sweater easily, palming my right breast somewhat roughly while I kissed the base of his caramel-colored neck, tasting his clean skin. Ashton undid my black ripped jeans at the same time I started to move his black jeans down, exposing his defined V-line. Our hours at the gym made this much more distracting then it needed to be. But I suppose that just made this whole thing more authentic.