17- Tryouts part 2

I yawned.

The try outs started early today and I didn’t have enough sleep last night. This morning, the students were separated in four teams of eight. The teams were equally divided between the players because we were doing scrimmage games.

The two coaches, Zoe, Ren and I were scattered around the field of play to observe the game which consisted of a forest and a wide open space. I was sitting on a tree branch, close to one of the flags. The other flag was on a small hill in the meadow. The team I was observing at the moment was bundled together, trying to come up with the best tactic to win.

“Everyone understand what we are doing?” Sean said to the rest.

“Uh- I’m sorry, but that plan leaves an opening on our defence, we should probably- a boy next to him said but was cut off by Sean.

“Look newbie, it’s not that you’re not smart or anything but I’m the leader here and you do as I say”

“Hear what Max has to say, meat boy, your plan sucks” Jimhaya said grumbly. “And who said you were the leader?”

“My name is Marcus” the boy whispered but everybody ignored him.

“Listen bitch, I was on the team last year, so I have more credibility” Sean responds.

“No wonder your team lost.”

“Why don’t you come up with a plan then?” a girl said before Sean could reply.

“No can do, I’m not a planner. I follow the strategy and do changes accordingly but I don’t create them. I’m not about to follow a lousy plan like yours. Listen to what Makenzie has to say.” Jimmy said.

“Bitch, you will go with the plan because I’m the leader”

“It doesn’t matter if you are, I will not follow a leader that will make us lose. Besides, a good leader listens to his teammates and you obviously can’t do that. Come on Mathew, we are going to watch from the trees” Jimmy said pulling the boy away from the group.

“But my name is Marcus” the boy said, his voice fading away as they marched through the forest.

“Filthy cowards. Come on guys, we are going through the same plan. We don’t need cowards on our team” I laughed, the plan Sean made was good for thirteen players, but it was not sufficient enough for six. The game started and finished within minutes.

The rest of the games were longer and more interesting. I spent most of the day watching and analysing how the students perform in a group.

-

 By lunch, we were down the last cut which would determine our team this year. Ren and I would finally be able to play in the afternoon. The teams were Jimhaya, me and Marcus vs Red, Jess and Ren. We were ten against ten. In our strategy, I was in offensive line, coming from above while the rest of the offence would attack from the ground. Marcus was skilled with snipers so he was on the defensive line, hidden in the trees and Jimhaya was also tasked to protect the flag that stood in the middle of the woods.

“Good luck” I told her and she nodded.

We got into position as we heard the gun fire. And the game began.

 I bolted upwards, trying not to get hit by the branches. When I made it out of the forest, I had a bird eyed view of the arena. The sun was bright in the sky threatening to blind me every time I looked in its direction. I could see the enemy flag in a meadow on my right. There was a clearing not far away from the hem of the forest. It was obvious that the enemy knew I would be attacking from above so it was unwise to try and steal the flag until my team was in position. I could see four enemy players around their flag so it left six hidden in the forest. I saw Red standing by her teammates in plain view looking towards the sky. She was looking for me.