Chapter 5

The reason why Jade had never been accepted to the "Finishing school for the Virtuous, Principled Ladies" had nothing to do with her lack of sewing skills or even her wilful personality. She was a fast learner and she could follow rules when it suited her so there really should have been no impediments except for the one that probably changed her life completely; a simple case of embarrassing, hand trembling nerves. It was something about a ticking clock, a blank piece of parchment and the strict examiner's gaze that did her in and made her run out of the examination hall like a lunatic. Her friends were only told that she wished to take an alternative route of education but her father knew better. He never pushed her for a retake purely because he was relieved his only daughter wasn't leaving him to return as a changed person with little of her former common sense and knowledge.

And it was then decided that fourteen year old Jade Durnn would be better off being taught at home by tutors for a more thorough education. Life was quite comfortable after that except for one large problem; Permelia, the oil painting master.

As an impoverished widow, Permelia gained a lot of sympathy from the gentleman of the house who understood the depth of her suffering. She clearly doted on his stubborn daughter and he made the most impulsive decision of his life to marry the downtrodden woman hoping she could look better to the needs of a daughter who was fast growing into a woman.

It was perhaps the worst decision he had ever made and in consequence his daughter was now dressed as a man, in the royal city palace, in front of an empty parchment with a clock ticking in her ears and a strict examiner glaring down at her wondering why she hadn't started yet.

"No, no, no, this is not the time to swoon, you imbecile," She muttered to herself, "Think of Permelia, the evil witch and her ugly, ugly smile. She'll be ever so pleased if I failed this. She would hold a party with George the filthy to celebrate my ruin."

The numbers blurred in front of her eyes threateningly but all her nerves were forgotten when her eyes landed on her mourning band that she had refused to take off. Jade then held the goose-quill pen firmly in her hand and started to scribble on the parchment like her life depended on it.

::::::

After the conclusion of the first examination the participants were allowed time to rest and gain some nourishment in a quiet salon that had blue, silk wall coverings. While the rest of the participants were busy appreciating the fine meat pies and sweet ale Jade was more interested in the architecture of the Palace she had never visited even though most of the nobility and gentry were invited at the last ball held in Prince Luke's honour.

The Ball itself was held in the grand Oval hall which was also known as the Room of Golden Light. Dull mirrors covered the ceiling and replicated the marble patterns in the floor. The walls too were covered in mirrors and when the bronze chandelier was lit up it seemed like the sun had descended on earth or so she had been told by her stepmother, jeeringly.

Jade slipped out of the salon and was strolling down the corridor admiring the different paintings especially one of the present king's great grandfather, King Damian, when she heard the sound of laughter echoing near where the corridor split in two. Feeling reluctant to bump into more people and give them a chance to see through her disguise she chose to push the doors on the right and vacate the corridors. This decision made the matters worse.

Jade had walked out into an indoor patio full of people all gaily dressed, enjoying a party.

The roof was covered with glass panels and the filtered light made clear that the sun had some out of hiding. In the middle of it all there was a gigantic pavilion with white marble columns on either side which contained the main bulk of the party.