#8 Protector

A month later, Andrew Robertson throws a big party at his house. A birthday party for Grace actually. All of their big families come over celebrating Grace's happy day. The more the merrier! And Emily gets to know her new family more and even better.

"Waiting for someone?" Stephen asks Emily when he saw her often looking out the window.

"Yeah, my friends," Emily smiles at Stephen genuinely, showing a dimple on her left cheek. Stephen smiles back and sits beside Emily.

"Umm... Stephen?"

"Yes, Em?"

"What do you do?" Emily asks while staring at Stephen's face. She admits that he looks a lot like his mother, Sarah. Both of them have big, green eyes, pointed nose and clear jawline.

"I'm a doctor in a local hospital," Stephen smiles, looking at Emily back. 'Doctor? That's why he's not always at home,' Emily thinks and nods.

"Have you done any surgery?"

"Oh, yeah! Many times. I love it," Stephen says enthusiastically. Emily narrows her eyes at him. She fears blood and any type of pain, so being a doctor, veterinarian or in any career that related to medical is not in the top list of her ambitions.

As the two of them were talking together, there is a woman standing in front of them. Both Emily and Stephen look up and Emily widens her eyes.

"Hey, Julie! Come here," Stephen pulls a chair beside him. Emily just stares at the woman. She's so beautiful!

"Julie, this is Emily, the one that I talked to you about. Emily, this is Julie, my girlfriend," Stephen introduces both of them. Emily and Julie greet each other and shake hand. The three of them chat a bit, but Emily feels uncomfortable, so she looks around and sees her friends at the front door.

"Stephen, my friends are here, so I have to go. Bye! And nice to meet you, Julie," Emily gets up and waves at Stephen and Julie.

"Nice to meet you too, Emily!" Julie says. Emily smiles at her and goes to the front door.

"Hey, Emily!" Katherine waves her hand excitedly and Emily looks at her friends one by one. She invited four friends of hers. Katherine and Anthony, of course - and a tall blonde girl from Sweden named Felicia who is also her close friend. Then, Harry McArthur from the North England, Yorkshire who is her another childhood friend that she used to have a huge crush on. Hehe... But now she doesn't have that special feeling towards him anymore. Well, maybe a bit.

"The food section is over here," Emily says in sing-song to the four of them to get their attention. Anthony and Harry quickly run towards the food section while the girls just shake their heads at them.

*******

"Hey, where's Thomas?" Katherine asks Emily whilst eating a plate of sticky toffee pudding which is her favourite pudding.

"With his friends, perhaps?" Emily shrugs and continues playing a colouring game in her phone. "I want to wash my hands," Emily tells Katherine and Felicia and heads towards the kitchen. She washes her hands at the sink while humming a song. When she has done washing, she turns back and suddenly bumps into someone.

"Oh, gosh! I'm so sorry!" Emily looks front and realises that she just bumped into a good-looking boy who looks like he is in the same age as her. He is picking up pieces of food that fall onto the floor after they bumped into each other accidentally. Emily quickly helps him.

"That's all right. I'm sorry too," the boy says without gazing at Emily. Then, they hear footsteps coming closer to them, so Emily slowly lifts up her head.