Chapter 20: Second Life - Betrayal

"It's amazing that you can see. Lord Kong definitely is the Prince of Medicine," Chu Chu said to me as I reviewed books in the dim lighting of the library.

"Yes. Yes, he's amazing. What's this word?"

"That's 'heart.' It's going to take awhile for you to read, huh?"

"I had a system before... now I just have to make a new one. What time is it? I feel sleepy all of a sudden. Maybe it's from reading."

"I'll lead you back to your room."

"No need. I can find my own way back from here."

Although my eyesight slowly got better, I started to feel lethargic and weak. Kong Shuguang continued to brew my medicine for me every night. He also started to look pale and tired.

Sitting on my bed, under the covers, I took a sip of the medicine and said, "Kong Shuguang, maybe you need to drink this medicine too. You're beginning to look pale."

"Can you see my face?"

"A little, but it's still blurry." 

He out a small breath, "Don't worry about me. Just focus on getting better."

Seeing that he had worked hard to get me my eyesight, I didn't tell him about my symptoms. 

The next day while going over the treatment plans I had for different patients, Chu Chu came into my study to let me know that she'd prepared the medications I ordered. 

"That's good," I confirmed. After just a moment of reading, I started to cough loudly and violently as Chu Chu looked on with a worried face. A small spurt of blood left my mouth and splattered all over my notes.

"Miss Mingxian! Are you okay? I'll go get Lord Kong!" Chu Chu was about to leave.

"No! It's fine. I'm fine... Don't go tell him."

"But Miss Mingxian..."

I was able to silence Chu Chu that day, but the adverse effects of treating my eyesight took a toll on my body. I started to have migraines everyday, and my coughing wouldn't stop, which made it hard for me to sleep throughout the night. Chu Chu tried to persuade me to tell Kong Shuguang, and I finally agreed.

Upon entering the courtyard to his study, Chu Chu followed behind. Just before entering, we heard Kong Shuguang talking with an older man.

"That's Lord Qie. He's the acting Sect Leader. He's finally returned?" Chu Chu whispered. 

I thought it was strange I hadn't met him all the months I was here. Looked like he was away from the sect on business and had only returned.

"How's the patient? Faring well?" Lord Qie asked Kong Shuguang, who could be seen sitting at his desk. He looked pale today as well.

"She's thriving, but weak. I think it's a good idea to stop the experiments now. Her body won't hold for much longer."

"Doesn't look like yours will either."

Kong Shuguang didn't answer. 

"We have to find a way to revive previous Sect Leader Gao. I think you're the only one who can make this happen, Shuguang."

Just what is going on? Experiments? Revive Gao Yi Fei?

"Sect Leader Gao cannot be revived by my medical skills alone. We have to track the missing part of her soul."

"Just look at what you've accomplished with that blind village girl. She's lived with Master Lu Hong all these years, and she was never cured. This time you were successful, so let's start on reviving Gao Yi Fei."

Turning away from the entrance, I walked back to my room in a dazed state. From what I'd heard, Kong Shuguang was using me as some sort of experimental being in order to revive Gao Yi Fei. 

"Chu Chu, has Kong Shuguang brought patients like me back in the past and given them some sort of weird medicine?"

"Miss Mingxian, what are you saying? Lord Kong has definitely brought people back to treat them... What you heard earlier... I think was out of context."

"Go away, Chu Chu. I need to think."

I didn't want to hear anyone excuse Kong Shuguang. Everyone here was on his side. I had to leave this place.