Chapter 21: Second Life - Second Farewell

"Where to, Miss?" the carriage driver asked me as I climbed on.

"Tie Qing village."

"Miss, that's about a few days' drive." He sounded concerned. He was probably worried that I wouldn't have the money to have him drive all the way there.

"Drive me as far as you can, and I'll give you this." I showed him a piece of silver in my hands. He nodded and immediately set off.

I had to get as far as I could from Kong Shuguang and the Invigorating Essence Sect. They were going to use me until I lied dead on the ground in order to revive their Sect Leader. Kong Shuguang had been using me all along by having me digest weird components of medicinal herbs. It was all to test if Gao Yi Fei could benefit from the results.

I felt... that I could not hold on any longer. My body was growing weaker, and I did not feel at ease no matter what I did. Even avoiding Kong Shuguang's medicine did not help subside the horrendous headaches, cold spells, and fatigue. I wanted to see Master before I had to face my ancestors.

I slept mostly on the way while the carriage driver made a few rest stops. I didn't eat nor drink a lick of water for three days that he would poke my shoulders to see if I was still breathing. Once we finally made it to Tie Qing village, I paid the driver and set off to Master's clinic.

For the first time in my life, I could finally see the place I grew up in. A small village with playful children in the streets, hard working villagers walking around, small wooden houses. The path to Master's clinic was paved well with small trees greeting me on either sides. Master's clinic sat by itself in the small wilderness. Its stone walls was grey in color while its straw roof looked unstable.

"Master! I've returned," I shouted in the distance, but no one came out.

I untied the cloth around my eyes and squinted at my surroundings. Just then a young man came out from the clinic's doors.

"Senior Mingxian? What are you doing here?"

"Xiao Wei?" I stared at his face. My eyesight focused on the attributes of his appearance.

"Master isn't here..." he said with his eyes to the ground.

"Where is he?"

"Master... has passed away."

What? How? How could he have passed away and no one told me?

"Why didn't anyone tell me? Why didn't you come find me?" I said as tears welled up in my eyes.

"Master told me not to let you know of his passing until your eyes got better and when you've returned..."

"Stubborn old fool... Xiao Wei, I'd like to pay my respects. Where is the place he's been laid to rest?"

"The overlook on the west of Tie Qing Mountain."

"I'll make my way there."

"Senior Mingxian, wait! Are you all right? You look disheveled. Please come inside."

"I don't have time... Don't worry, I'll be right back." I said through my gritted teeth. This was probably going to be the last thing I did before I died. I didn't want to put on an act any longer.

The leaves swaying in the wind, and the sun's ray escaping through the branches, I could finally see it all. As I took a step toward the overlook, a single mound was visibly planted in the ground with a smooth tombstone. I stumbled over to the stone and my body gave out onto the ground.

"Master, I'm back," I coughed, "My eyesight has gotten much better, but I'm afraid I'm at the end."

I traced my fingers over the writings on the stone: Lu Hong, he lived a life of virtue, dedicated to relieving the ailments of those who suffered.

"Mingxian?" I heard someone called out my name.

Kong Shuguang.

"What are you doing here?" I asked with no emotions showing through.

"Mingxian, I'm really sorry about Doctor Lu. I had no idea..."

"What else are you sorry about?"'

He paused. Slowly approaching, he said, "Xiao Chu told me you overheard my conversation with Sect Leader Qie. Please don't misunderstand. I would never do anything to hurt you."

"Then answer me... did you experiment drugs on me to use on Gao Yi Fei? To revive her?" I didn't care to look at him as I accused him of doing the most unethical thing.

"I only experimented on medicine to treat your eyes, never to use you for Gao Yi Fei."

"I don't trust you... because I'm dying," I smiled as blood forced its way out of my mouth. Kong Shuguang ran to my side, and wrapped his arms around me.

"Mingxian, we have to take you back to Invigorating Essence Sect!"

"I don't want to go back there."

"Mingxian, please."

"Kong Shuguang, I don't want to argue with you. Even with your skills as the Prince of Medicine, you cannot save me."

"But--"

"I want to see the sunset for the first time... and the last time," I confessed. As if understanding what I meant, he carried me toward the edges of the overlook and held me as we sat in the grass. I could feel his head lightly brushing against my hair.

The view of the sunset was breathtaking. The faraway screeching of a hawk flying in the distance as if being engulfed by the flames of the reddened sky.

"Kong Shuguang... I understand why you did it. I, myself, would do anything to save the person I love."

He didn't respond.

"You found a poor blind village girl like me and thought no one would miss me if I died from your experiments, right?"

He softly whispered, "No."

"I hope you will be haunted by my death until the day you die," I said to him with a playful smile, but also I wanted to curse him because I had fallen in love with him, the very person who drove me to my death.

Finally looking into his eyes, the hazy blur no longer obstructed my view. His sharp eyebrows were pulled together while tears welled up in his eyes. His pale face and dried lips made him look ill.

"You really are beautiful... Wu Yi Huai."

And then I died.