A New Arrival

Alice wasn’t sure if this was a promise or a threat, but she interpreted it as the latter. She took a careful step back, thinking she could run for the door if she had to.

                “What makes you think I have any intention of staying here?”

                Bacchus smiled, stepping closer. “Alice, don’t you see? Together we can have everything. Use one of your wishes to free your friends and bring them back. With the other, you can do what you like! Wish for unimaginable power and wealth! And when you’re with me, none of the gods will touch you. Now that I am favoured of Gaia, they would never risk it.”

                When she looked closely at his expression it was clear that Bacchus thought he was offering her something truly tempting. He really did expect her to drop everything, her entire life, to partner up with him. Alice started to shake her head, then froze when the god of wine moved closer, placing one hand on her shoulder. When he ran his fingers down her bare arm a trail of tingles followed it. His fingers felt unnaturally warm. When he spoke again his voice was like silk.

                “We’ll give a whole new meaning to the term ‘power couple’, you and I. Years ago, I thought I could never love another mortal woman, but Alice, I’m beginning to think I was wrong.”

                Though there were shivers running down her back, Alice kept her face perfectly blank. This trick of his would have probably worked on her a year or so ago, but she was too familiar with the gods now. Bacchus was laying it on thick.

                Reaching up, she brushed his hand off. “I’m taken.”

                The god tipped his head back, his laughter echoing off the vaulted ceilings overhead. “That mortal with no magic? You can’t be serious.”

                At the thought of Altair, a physical ache began in her chest, mixed with anger. Bacchus was wasting her time, she should be thinking about her wishes. She was about to make the most important decision of her life, and this stupid man was distracting her.

                “That’s quite enough,” she said sharply, and was rewarded by Bacchus’ surprised expression. These gods acted like children, so she would talk to them like they were children. “I grow tired of your foolish tricks. You think I haven’t seen this before? You’re wasting your time, and more importantly, you’re wasting mine.”

                His shocked expression slowly turned to amusement. “I’m afraid you’ve only succeeded in making me like you more. I get the feeling there’d never be a dull moment with you, and I’m always so bored lately.”

                “That’s the problem with you gods.” Alice glowered at him. “Idle hands become wicked. I swear you’re all like children. You need to be taught some manners.”

                Bacchus’ eyes sparkled. “And will you teach me?”

                Alice pressed her lips together, thoroughly irritated that he didn’t seem at all effected by her temper. In fact, the angrier she got, the more he appeared to be enjoying himself. “There is nothing you can say to convince me to stay here. I have to get my friends to safety and then I’m leaving this place.”

                Instead of answering, Bacchus turned to one of the tall, Grecian urns on the pedestal beside him. He tipped the lid up and reached one hand in. Alice tensed, sure he was about to show her something terrible, or bring out some sort of weapon to use against her. Not that the gods needed weapons, but she didn’t trust him not to try something.