Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Ella's POV:

It's been three days since I last attended school, three whole days. But today's Friday, the last day of the school week, so I'm going. It's only one day I have to suffer through. I'm not behind either. My mom has been getting my work so I could do it from home.

The shrieking sound of my alarm clock assaults my ears and disrupts my sleep. The blaring, unceasing loudness was a real mood killer. A perfect way to make you miserable.

Rolling over blindly, I hit my nightstand repetitively until my hand landed on the jackpot, turning the ludicrous thing off. I then close my eyes, telling myself I will get up in just a second.

Just a second, second, second.

When I open my eyes again, they just about bulge out of their sockets. It's been forty minutes! Oh my goodness, I swear it was only a couple of seconds, but no, apparently it wasn't.

When I tell you I jumped out of bed, I legit leaped. My feet scrambled across the floor, out of my comfy bed, to the closet. I don't ever pick out my clothes the night before, so I dig through my clothes like a wild woman and pick out a cream sweater and light ripped jeans.

This is why you don't close your eyes, even if you think it's just for a second. Then you become late like me.

I wake Thomas up, but he always gets up at this time, so it didn't mess with his routine like it did mine. After, I muddle to get ready, brushing my hair and teeth, not even having time to eat breakfast.

When I'm finally finished, I wait patiently for Thomas. He's packing his sports bag for football practice later. Thomas is my ride because my mom still won't let me drive.

A series of three knocks sound on the door. Who could that be this early in the morning?

Confused, I stand up and walk to the door skeptically. With a bit of hesitation, I pull the door open, and when I do, I blink to make sure I'm not seeing things. Declan is here, lazily leaning on my porch's wooden railing, with his arms crossed.

His chocolate hair is an array of messy curls on top of his head. He wears black ripped jeans and a black sweatshirt, converse on his feet. As my eyes meet him, I nervously bite my lip. He looks good today, like always.

I totally forgot about him saying he would pick me up.

Now I'm staring, and he has definitely noticed. The smirk plastered on his face was proof. A blush encaptures my cheeks, and suddenly, the floor is very interesting.

"Enjoying the view?" Declan winks, "Don't worry, I know I am."

I glance up into his crystal green eyes in confusion. It takes me a minute to process what he just said. When I do, I look around to see what he's talking about.

Well, that's weird, does he like my house or something?

So I respond with, "Thanks, I like my house too."

Declan throws his head back, laughter bubbling the air. What's so funny? Did I say something wrong? My hands begin to fiddle with the rips of my jeans nervously. I don't know why he's laughing, and it's making me self-conscious.

After a minute, Declan's laughter dies down. Now there's just an amused smirk. His eyes are a light shade of green. "You're so selfless."

My heart skips a beat.

"I was only teasing. I wasn't talking about the house, Ellie. I was talking about you."

My cheeks brighten in color. "O-oh, I didn't, umm t-think--"