Chapter 1: Just the Way Things Are

Life for me consisted of a few simple things. School, work, my side hustle (which was really just me doing hair in my father's basement from time to time), and home.  I didn't want or need for much because I was good at taking care of myself. It was in my blood to work for everything I had. So when the opportunity to take a trip across the country landed in my lap, it was no surprise that I didn't take the news very well.

         "Seriously dad? Why do I have to go to California all of a sudden?" I complained for what felt like the ninety-third time. Anything to get my dad to change his mind.

         My dad sighed tiredly as he made himself comfortable in his old, worn down recliner chair.

         "I'm not going over this with you again, Tay-Tay. I'm going on leave for the next few months and there will be nobody here to look after you when I'm gone. With your mom away, I just don't feel comfortable leaving you here all by yourself."

         "You leave me here by myself all the time! I'm eighteen now dad. Legally, I can really do what I want."

          The rest of my argument slowly died on the tip of my tongue as I registered the stern look on my dad's face. He didn't care about me being eighteen. That didn't matter to him. I already knew what he was going to say just by the look on his face. 'As long as I was under his roof...yada yada yada.'

         Ever since my mom left to go pursue her dreams out of the blue, something in my dad had changed. He became extremely overprotective, like if I was given too much freedom, I would up and leave him without warning too. I found it kind of ironic though that he was forcing me to go and "find myself" over 3,000 miles away when my mom had done the exact same thing.

         It was like she had vanished out of thin air, and I swore that I would never be like her. It was apart of the reason why I didn't want to go to begin with. That, and the fact that I was happy where I was. All of my friends were here in New York. My life, my jobs, my purpose was here. I didn't have to go so far away to figure that out.

         My dad's murder mystery documentaries were on, so I knew that the conversation was over. He wasn't going to change his mind and I would more than likely have a better chance arguing my side to a cardboard box at this point. With nothing left to say, I turned on my heel and headed down the hall to my room where I was currently packing

        My clothes spilled out of my drawers and onto the hardwood floor. Make up and hair products were strewn across my room. I was horrible at packing. Because we didn't travel very often, I didn't have many suitcases. There was no need. Now, as I eyed to two medium sized suitcases and the small, black duffel bag on my bed, I wondered how all of my stuff would fit.

         The trip wasn't for another three days, so I guess I had time to figure it out. And of not, then who cared? I didn't want to leave anyway. I had been putting it off for this long, another day wouldn't magically make my clothes disappear. After folding my last good pair of shorts, I gave in and decided to call my best friend Rochelle, or 'Chelle as I liked to call her. I wanted to spend as much time with my friends as I could before leaving.

         Since graduating high school, we had all chosen different paths to go on. 'Chelle wanted to go to cosmetology school so that she could open her own hair salon in the neighborhood. Her boyfriend and my other best friend Rodney, loved to work on cars and large vehicles. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, but I applied to a few local colleges like everybody else.

        "What's up girl?" 'Chelle answered the phone on the first ring.

          "Hey 'Chelle, what are you up to?"