chapter 1

As the rain pours down on me I know how much this night means. There is only two way this can end. One, we make a comeback and win the soccer state championship or second, go home without a trophy. The score was 10 for the other team and 9 for us. The ball is on our end of the field when the guy with the ball went to kick it into the goal, as we saw the ball move in slow motion. It hit the top bar of the goal and went straight into the face of our best center back. He fell backward and landed on the ground. The coach started running out to him and everyone around him started to help off the field.

"Anthony, get out there," the coach yelled.

I started running to the position, I had never really played center back before, but I knew how to. The whistle blew and the ball started moving. At first, it was moving towards the other goal, but our guy on the ball tripped over himself and he went face first into the dirt. He got back to his feet but it was too late. The ball was in the possession of number 21 on the other team. I started to run towards the goal when something popped into my head. turn around and challenge him. I planted my feet and tuned. Running toward him, I tried making myself look as big as possible. I reached him and swung my foot. I felt the ball against my foot and then it flew. We all watched as the ball landed and bounced over the goalie and into the goal. Then the buzzer went off.

The crowd and team went wild. cheering and yelling with joy. It was the most intense kick in the world. I stood looking at the score. 10 to 10, and over time. We got ready to have the game of our lives. As the ball started over, it also started to snow. With my kick, it had raised our teams to spirt. I smiled and the snow started to feel like a sign of victory. Then out of nowhere, it became a full-on blizzard. I couldn't see anything, I tried to find the other players but I couldn't. I started running in the direction I was think was the gym entrance. I had my hands straight out in front of me when they fit something. It was the wall of the gym. I walked along it till I found the entrance. I opened the door and went inside. When I got inside I looked around. half of the crowd went inside when it started snowing. the rest made it in when the blizzard started, including the two teams.

We were in there for a few hours before the blizzard stopped, and then it was another hour before we got everything dug out. My mom and I got into our car and we started on the road.

"even though you didn't finish the game you did an amazing job," she said as we pulled onto the road behind a truck hauling metal pipes.

"Thanks, mom," I started when the truck in front of us started swerving. Mom slammed on the breaks but it was too late. the truck turns sideways and then started rolling. the pipes started flying all over the place and we slammed into the side of the rolled truck. that's when everything went black.

I opened my eyes to find myself in a hospital bed. I looked around to see the room was empty. I looked down to see my legs in casts. I tried to sit up but I couldn't from the pain in my chest and ribs. That's when the nurse walked in.

"what happened, where's my mom," I asked.

She looked at me with a sad look on her face. "You were in a car accident and both your legs are broken, we don't know if you will be able to walk again," she started and then stopped as if there was more bad news.

"What about my mom, is she ok," I said. "Wheres, my mom."

"We are sorry to tell you this, but she didn't make it," the nurse said.