Chapter Ten

A/N When I write books, I always think the beginning is always incredibly boring. There's not a lot of feelings yet and it's mostly just characters development, so I have little moments that I look forward to writing that keep me motivated in the rough time. One of them happens in this chapter.

Saturday started much earlier than Lawson was planning when he was awoken with a phone call. His first thought was, oh fuck, can't wake Wesley but then he recalled his roommates absence, so his second thought was, I'm not going to answer, what idiot calls a college student at nine on a saturday, and his third, after actually looking to see who was calling him was, oh shit, it's mom.

"Hey!" He answered, trying to sound as awake as possible because he knew she'd be upset to learn she had woken him. "Good morning".

"Oh my gosh, Lawson. Were you asleep? Why did you pick up? Did you go out last night? Did you have fun?" The plethora of questions had him sitting up in bed, concerned, since excessive sincerity was something she did when stressed.

"Mom? What's wrong?" He asked, and she breathed a long sigh on the other line.

"I don't want to trouble you, honey. You have so much going on right now. I just wanted to talk to you about how you're doing and what you're doing in school and other stuff like that," She said, and if Lawson hadn't of been worried, he would have smiled.

Him and his mother were extremely close. It had been just the two of them for about five years, though Lawson's current step-father was his mother's long time best friend, so he had always been involved, but it was different before he was apart of their little family, and they still had a habit of leaning on one another for their main support. Growing up, Lawson didn't have many friends due to his absent mindedness as a child, and his mother didn't get along well in the local community of mothers due to the fact she had Lawson at the age of sixteen and was far younger than the rest of them. For such a long time, they had only had each other, so it made sense that she often called him just to talk when missing him became too much.

It was something they both did actually, and his mother had already received her fair share of I'm an overwhelmed college student and all I want is your home cooking calls. Sure, they weren't actually that far from one another, but Lawson found he didn't have much time to go home, and when he did have time, his parents were often busy with the twins, and he didn't want them to have to worry about him as well.

"Mom... we can talk, because I miss you too, but I want to know what has you so stressed at some point. You know I worry. Is everything alright with the girls? How had Cyble been?" The youngest of the twins, Cyble, had type three Von Willebrand's disease, and often suffered from severe bleeds that had to be stopped by transfusions of medicine.

"She's... she's alright. You know, it's still not easy, but it's getting better. Luna is doing okay as well. Last week Will made the mistake of informing them they get off of preschool for a week around christmas- they already are only there for three half days a week, so I don't see that there's much to be excited about- but it's all they can talk about," his mother answered, and Lawson allowed himself a little laugh, because that sounded about right.

"God, I miss them".

"They miss you too," She assured. "You know, I think they would love it if you came home sometime- soon preferably because I missed you- and surprised them".

"I'll come home soon, I promise". He missed it there, and he'd love to see his sisters in person, since they were four and their attention spans really weren't ideal for video chat. "Will sent me a video of Luna dancing yesterday, and then one of Cyble eating a piece of cake and looking like the happiest person in the world".