XXXV

The kitchen was an absolute warzone.

Stella was coming over for dinner and I needed everything to go perfect. This was the first time one of the boys officially introduced their girlfriend to the rest of the family. Well, technically it was the second time but we all just wordlessly agreed to pretend Penny never happened. The first impression was everything, the last thing I wanted was for something to go wrong, that would be a total turnoff.

"The phone keeps ringing," Ashton said as he strolled into the kitchen.

"Well, answer it then. What do you need me for?" I asked while I took out the dirty tray from the oven. I squirted some dish soap on it and started scrubbing it clean.

"Don't know."

"It's probably Mom. She's been trying to get a hold of me for a few days now but Jordan still has my phone. He told her I didn't wanna talk, I don't have anything to say, but the woman doesn't know when to stop," I grumbled. My hair flew in my face and I tried to blow it away cause my hands were a little preoccupied.

Ashton leaned against the counter. "She's scared."

"Scared of what?" I pushed my hair away from my eyes with my forearm, leaving a trail of soap and water on my face in the process.

"Think about it, you're the only one that bothers to check up on her. She knew she could always count on you and now she's scared she's losing you too."

"Huh ..." I thought about it and came to the conclusion that he was probably right.

Ashton came to stand behind me. He reached over my shoulder to take the elastic hairband around my wrist. "She's gonna try to make you feel guilty, make it look like you're abandoning her. Like she's done nothing wrong and it somehow is all your fault. Don't fall for it."

He ran his fingers through my bangs, pulling the strands back before gathering them in a simple ponytail. It was a little too tight at the temples but at least I had no hair in my eyes anymore.

"Thanks," I mumbled distractedly while rinsing the tray. I was lost in my thoughts again when I noticed he was drinking straight out of a carton of milk.

"Ash! Don't drink that, I need it for the sauce!"

He put the milk back and put his hands up in surrender before fetching an apple from the little basket. He took a big bite, leaving a trail of juice rolling down his chin. I dropped my tray sending drops of water and soap all over myself.

"ASHTON! Those apples are for the crumble, put it back!"

He smirked and took another huge bite just to get under my skin.

I threw the soggy sponge at him but he unfortunately dodged it successfully. My eye-hand coordination was never fully developed. "Get out!"

I was fuming and he just laughed, "You're adorable, JJ." He even had the balls to pinch my cheeks on his way to the backdoor.