2.8

"Sister...?"

Shi Zixin turned around to see the pudgy Gang Xiabo step forward, his thick lips falling open in shock.

"What...what happened?" Gang Xiabo asks, looking at Shi Zixin. Shi Zixin rose from where she knelt, unsure of what to say. 

"I'm sorry..." Shi Zixin begins, "for your loss."

Gang Xiabo's face contorts in anger as he runs up to Shi Zixin and grabs the commander by the shoulders. 

"Who's the bastard who did this to my sister?! Who?! Who?!"

Guards immediately went to pull Gang Xiabo off Shi Zixin, but Shi Zixin only watched with a flat face. Angry tears were silently sliding off the brother's face.

"Guards, let go."

The men let go of Gang Xiabo, allowing the beefy man to fall to the ground, helpless. Shi Zixin walked to the man and knelt down, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I will not let your sister's death be buried by the war effort," Shi Zixin swears. "The person who did this horrible crime will pay the price and be arrested-"

"No." Gang Xiabo shakes his head. "I will be the one to deliver the final blows to that bastard. He'll suffer just as my sister did."

Gang Xiabo looks at Shi Zixin, fire burning in his beetle eyes. "This is the one thing you can give me, Commander Shi. Please."

The request sounded pleading, almost as if Gang Xiabo wanted something to hold onto and this was it. Shi Zixin didn't hesitate to nod.

"Of course. As long as you allow me to certify who the criminal is first, you may have your way."

Gang Xiabo bows their head deeply. "Thank you, commander."

"But," Shi Zixin interrupts. "There is a condition."

Gang Xiabo looks up in confusion.

"What is it?"

"You must be head of the investigation," Shi Zixin adds. Gang Xiabo gives a sarcastic scoff.

"That doesn't sound all too bad," Gang Xiabo says. "Deal."

"Good. I'll give you the next 10 days off to mourn, so you may take Doctor Gang's body back home. Report back to camp when you return-"

"I don't need to mourn-"

"Your family will need you there. This is an order."

I can tell that Gang Xiabo needs time to grieve as well...

Gang Xiabo gives a brief nod at this, his face still swollen and patchy from his brief crying outburst. "Thank you."

"You are dismissed," Shi Zixin nods, allowing Gang Xiabo to leave and prepare for the journey home. Shi Zixin turns to the other soldiers in the tent.

"Prepare one of the spare carts to take Doctor Gang to her resting place."

"Yes, commander!"

The four soldiers set to work as Shi Zixin leaves the tent, keeping her expressionless mask on as she faces the people who had gathered around the tent.

"Go back to work!"

They quickly scurry, whispering among themselves. Shi Zixin lets out a deep sigh, walking to the morning meeting. This was going to be a long day...

=

At dusk, Shi Zixin reentered her tent and slumped upon her bed. She stared down at the ground, emotions waving over her. Wiping her wet eyes quickly, Shi Zixin leaned back on her cot, resting her head on the hard pillow.