forty-two

Neeki still didn't understand who the girl in her memories or dreams were

Neeki still didn't understand who the girl in her memories or dreams were. She was tempted to Owl Newt, but she didn't have an owl. Lately, she started writing to herself on blank pieces of paper. She would hide the pieces of paper underneath the mattress. It was her way of venting. There was no one she could trust at Nurmengard Castle. It was extremely hard for her to not think about what she didn't want people to know. Queenie was dangerous to be around. She was too loyal to Grindelwald. Neeki tried to steer clear of her, but it wasn't like she left her room anyway.

Dear Newt,

   My memories have been returned to me a while ago, but now new parts of them are coming back that I never had in the first place. I'm afraid Grindelwald is hiding more things from me. If you ever get this letter, I'm sure you're quite surprised that I can now write with correct grammar. I don't regret choosing this side. I've got my memories back. Some of them, I hope. I can't go back to you just yet. I have to learn more about who I am. Please, this is a big favor for me to ask of you, but I hope you can wait for me to return.

Love, Neeki

P.S my real name is Kayla, but I've
grown to love the name you've gifted me.

Neeki put the quill down, blew on the ink, then folded it once it dried. She lifted her mattress a few inches into the air with great effort. She struggled under its weight because of her weak arms, then shoved it underneath.

No one could ever know about that. It depended on Neeki's life. It simply felt nice to write about it, but it was a large risk to take. She knew there was more to her past than Grindelwald let on.