Chap 22

~Gale~

We had just sat down to eat, and it looked like Lakota was ready to devour everything. It just dawned on me that he hadn't eaten for days. He would nibble on something but he wouldn't eat a full meal. After that incident in the hallway and in the infirmary, Cyrus and I were trying to get him to eat for a while but he refused. All along it was because of the hallucinations he told us about. It hurt to know that, that was happening the whole time and we didn't know it.

Cyrus put down a breakfast sandwich in front of him and I watched as his eyes grew wide. Taking a seat with the two I watched them eat and it reminded me of the other morning when I had bitten Lakota. I didn't mean to, I tried to restrain myself but when he had pressed his tongue against mine and just the taste of him threw me in a frenzy. It was the most beautiful blend of sweet and tangy. An addictive taste if I ever knew one.

It was just as amazing as Cyrus's, who had more of a bite to his blood. It was quiet as they ate so I decided to make conversation.

"So Lakota, is it good?" I asked with a smile, leaning forward and placing my head on my folded hands. He was hunched over his plate, kind of like a starved animal protecting his prey.

"Don't talk to me." he mumbled as he buried himself in his food. It was gone in a matter of seconds.

Both Cyrus and I glanced at each other and laughed.

"Someone's hangry," Cyrus chucked before sliding his own plate across the table towards Lakota. He didn't even have to say anything, Lakota had already snatched it up and shoved it in his mouth.

"So whats on the agenda today?" I asked Cyrus as I watched our mate eat.

"I believe Alpha Avery and your father are finally talking. Or more like Avery is preventing murder in the house." He laughed, "So I think we should take Lakota out and away from all this drama."

"Oh, okay. Can I bring my brother, Nicholas along?" Cyrus nodded.

"I don't see why not"

"Is that okay with you Lakota?" I asked him and he glanced up and shrugged to preoccupied by chewing.

"I'll go tell him to get ready. He's been really depressed lately and I thought I would get him out of his head and out of the house for a few hours." I explained.

"That's thoughtful of you." Lakota finally said around a mouthful of food.

"Where has he been anyway? I haven't seen him."

"Oh he's around, he likes to skulk in the shadows, he's just like a vampire that way." I snickered.

******

Our group stood in the middle of town. Lakota pressed up against Cyrus as far as he could, taking in the sights. He wasn't a big fan of all the cars passing by but besides that he was pretty excited. I remember that he went out with Connor and Teagan a while back. Both Cyrus and I not being in good terms had been fighting for Lakota's attention.

"So where do you want to start Nick?" I asked my brother as he stood in the back quietly. Looking behind us and I watched his dark eyes catch mine before he shrugged.

"You act like I haven't been in town before. Ask your mate" he gestured with his hand towards Lakota. "He seems like the most interested."

"Yes but I asked you" I answered calmly. He seemed to always be in a bad mood. Since his mother's murder, he never smiled or laughed. The little boy I got to know when I came back home was gone and replaced with an angry, depressed shell that once was my little brother. It pained me to see him like this and I would do anything to help him get back to his old self.