37

The redhead blinked back her tears as she made her way up to the bedrooms

The redhead blinked back her tears as she made her way up to the bedrooms. She grabbed the family owl Arnie from his cage and took him back into her bedroom. Ellie gasped and Arnie hooted. Isobel was sitting there on Ellie's bed with a downcast look on her face, even as she looked up at Ellie.

"What are you doing in here?" asked Ellie as she made her way over to her desk.

"Well, I wanted to talk..."

I snapped. Everything came up about Nikolai to my parents. Didn't end well.

- ellie.

Ellie tied her letter to Arnie and let him fly out from her window. She then shut the window, sat in her desk chair and turned to look at Isobel.

"Good, talk. My mother says you made up a story about Alexander Orlov hoping to get a big fat check, is that true?" Ellie demanded.

"No, of course not!" Isobel said in a hushed whisper, glancing at the door. The woman brought her hands together and ran them down her face before laying them flat in her lap, her kind brown eyes flicking up to meet Ellie's. "I loved that boy like he was my own. He was just...the sweetest kid — nothing like his wretched family, I'll give you that. Nikolai, on the other hand...he was different. Sweet in front of his parents, different when they weren't around."

"Why didn't you say anything about him to me before I left for Hogwarts, Isobel?" Ellie groaned, laying her head down on her desk. "You don't have to tell me what he was like as a kid. He probably...tortured animals or something. But it's true then? Nikolai did kill his little brother?"

Isobel's eyes welled up with tears and she nodded. "Y-yes...Estelle had me go and fetch the boys for their afternoon tea and they weren't anywhere around the yard. They would usually be found by the lake just by the end of their land. We told them a thousand times they weren't to go anywhere near that lake without an adult but sometimes they'd break that rule...oh, I hated it. Anyway...that day I went by the lake and...and what I saw just...it scared me. Nikolai, ten years old, he just...he scared me, Ellie.

He stood there, staring into the lake as the water splashed — as Alexander splashed. He stood there watching his brother die...and he...his face...there was no ounce of...of sadness, of remorse, of regret...nothing. It was like he just wanted it to hurry up and be done with.

I ran as fast as I could, screaming me head off. Screaming for Nikolai to save him but he acted like I wasn't even there. It was like he liked watching what was happening. It was evil. Pure evil. I pulled little Alex out of the water and I thought it was odd that he was so heavy until I noticed the rocks in his pockets. My screams caught the attention of the Orlovs' and they rushed over and found me cradling Alex, crying, as Nikolai stood there with no emotion on his little face. They noticed that, too. But nothing was done about it.

I wanted to make a case about it against Nikolai but of course they shut me down and...and offered me a lot of money to keep me quiet. Changed the truth."