38

When Ellie got back from her shower, Draco was sitting on the end of her bed with one of her books in his hand, furiously flipping through the pages

When Ellie got back from her shower, Draco was sitting on the end of her bed with one of her books in his hand, furiously flipping through the pages. It was The Tales of Beedle the Bard, something Ellie had not read or had read to her since she was a little girl. 

Draco's eyes flicked up at her and he automatically became disinterested in the storybook, tossing it behind him and asking once more about Ellie's parents.

"My parents are idiots, that's the only proper way to put it unfortunately. I took these all last year," Ellie pulled out the little box of polaroids she'd taken of the marks Nikolai left on her when he decided she needed to be manhandled. Draco took the box from her and went through the polaroids with a bitter look on his pointed, pale face. "I told my mother I took some photos as evidence and she thinks it's just pretend. An easy way out of an unwanted engagement."

Draco stopped and stared at one particular polaroid. It was the day Nikolai had struck her across the face. Twice. It was a simple photo of Ellie save for a big reddish purple bruise/gash across her cheek. His jaw clenched.

"I swear if I got there in time I would've done something," Draco said in a stern voice, almost as though he was talking to himself. "This was too far."

"I know. It's okay, really," Ellie said, nodding and smiling at him. She took the box from him and set it on her desk, then deciding to sit next to him on her bed. Her wet hair accidentally flung him in the face. "Oops, sorry."

Draco blinked and wiped his eye. "No, I deserved that."

"You deserve nothing but joy, Draco. You're a good person," Ellie said strongly, suddenly taking his hand in hers. She felt his stare on her and her face flushed. "And I have no idea why I just did that."

Draco let out a low laugh and Ellie felt butterflies fluttering in her stomach, even more so when he didn't even try to take his hand away. Instead, his thumb softly caressed the back of Ellie's hand. They were both staring at their intertwined hands, hearts rattling like a cage and stomachs infested with butterflies.

"I'm about to ruin this incredibly cute moment," said Ellie. Draco stopped rubbing Ellie's hand and looked up at her. "Tell me about Nikolai's journals. I need to know."

Draco swallowed and glanced back down at their hands. Ellie stared at him, and she felt goosebumps trickling down her spine as he softly caressed her hand again.

"Why?"

"Well—because."

"You already know what kind of person he is, what more is there to go on?" Draco said in a casual tone, his grey eyes flicking back up to meet Ellie's confused blue ones. "Well you know he's a murderer what more could you possibly need to know?"

"I just need to know," said Ellie, irritated. "So will you tell me or not?"

"Hmm, not," Draco said cheekily with a smirk. Ellie gave him a look, secretly loving the way his mouth turned upwards once more into a smirk. But then it dropped. "I'll show you when we get back to school. Nikolai will go nuts once he realises they're missing so...you've got probably ten minutes tops to read through them."