50. Trio

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I stood there in the darkness for the longest time. I wanted out of that place, but I didn't know how. I tried pinching myself and thinking about waking up, but I was still in the darkness. Then, I could hear a wolf whining quietly.

"Jaden?" I turned around, trying to locate where his voice was coming from, but I couldn't see him.

But there was a spot of light now in front of me. I didn't want to go there. I didn't know if I was supposed to see these memories, but then a thought occurred to me. Maybe Jaden wanted me to see them? Maybe that was why Wolfie was there with me, guiding me through it all.

"All right then," I nodded, and followed the light.

I saw a glimpse of water when I reached the spot, and when I stepped in, I saw a whole river in front of me. There was a lake on the left, but it was obvious I was still in Jaden's territory. I looked around and saw Wolfie. Now he was looking up at me, so I kneeled down to give him a hug.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through all that," I muttered in his fur, and pulled back to see him.

He barked at me and stepped away to look behind me. I turned around, and saw little Jaden sitting right next to the river, drawing something on the wet sand with a stick. As I got closer, I saw that they were just random lines.

"Watching you makes me so sad," I told Wolfie. "I wish I could hug you."

Wolfie let out a silent whine, so I looked at him. He sat down and barked at me again.

"What?" I asked, but then I saw movement by the trees, and turned to look at a boy who was walking towards Jaden, holding a bag of cookies in his hands. He was munching on one of them.

"Leave me alone!" Jaden yelled when he spotted the boy.

The boy didn't reply. He walked over to Jaden and promptly sat down next to him. "Want a cookie?" he asked.

"I don't want your filthy cookies!" Jaden snapped at him.

"They're not filthy – I promise. I kept them in the bag the whole time," the boy said with such innocence in his voice that my mutilated heart started to warm up again.

"I don't want them!" Jaden yelled and tried to push the boy away, but he was much bigger than him, so he barely swayed on his spot.

"Aye – that's what you said," the bigger boy said without a blink of an eye and grabbed another cookie for himself.

Jaden stared at him, and I could feel his anger rising inside him. "Leave me alone!"

"But if you'd eat the cookie, you would get bigger and then everyone would stop calling you a runt," the kid said. I hardly even realized that I was smiling at him.