92 ∞ covert observations

[24/6/2020 - A/N: IMPORTANT UPDATE: If you haven't met Fedora before,
please read the last scene in Chapter 12 ∞ Friends,
because that scene originally came from this chapter
and you'll be missing out on some details that previously were posted here.]

Day Nineteen ∞ Tuesday afternoon

MICKMI STUDIED THE OBJECT. "This, my friends, is a micro-filament. It is made of ultra-thin, inert metal fibers—well... normally inert. It can be activated – by a burst of microwaves – from a distance of... up to three miles away." Her smile didn't waver as she angled what looked like hair-fine wire before her. "When that happens, the microwaves realign the ions in the inert metal so they emit a short radio signal. After emitting that pulse, the metal reverts to its inert state, which cannot be picked up by an ordinary scanner.

"A very sophisticated and ingenious way to keep track of somebody, without being discovered. Unfortunately for 'the Agency', 'not-so-public' history is one of my strong subjects."

Incredulous, Dr. Kruger walked around the table to her, fished a magnifying glass out of his lab coat pocket and scrutinized the object.

"How do you know it is the CIA's?" Dr. Bogdanov asked.

"This device seems extremely advanced. Beyond our current technology." Kruger handed the glass to Bogdanov and returned to his seat.

"Public current technology," Mickmi said, holding it out for Bogdanov to inspect. "I know the CIA will not admit to the existence of this technology for another seventy years. At least, in my timeline. I suspect in yours, they will not easily acknowledge it either."

"Do you know how it got into your shoulder?" Bogdanov asked.

"Aye," she replied without hesitation. "One of the assistants asked me for permission to give me an injection before I went to sleep. He said it was some vitamins." She glanced at Dr. Mahoney. "He told me Doctor Mahoney ordered it."

Mahoney raised his hands in protest. "I have absolutely nothing to do with that. That guy used my name to incriminate me."

"Can you describe the man for me?" Kruger asked.

"That is not necessary. Just look at me for a second."

Kruger's expression darkened as soon as he met Mickmi's gaze. "That's Mister Evans!" He turned to Mahoney. "Your orderly."

Looking over Danny's head, Kruger lifted his hand and made a fist, then raised two fingers twice. Puzzled, Danny checked over his shoulder and found a surveillance camera on the far wall. Moments later two guards entered from each side of the room.

Kruger pointed at Mahoney. "Take him into custody. Total isolation. Level three. Requisition anything electronic on his person."

Mahoney jumped up protesting vehemently but the guards ignored his claims of innocence and took him away.

Once the door closed behind them and left silence in the room, Kruger turned to Mickmi. "My deepest apologies, Miss Wamba. You have shown nothing but willingness to cooperate and edify us here."

She dipped her head in acknowledgment and placed the filament on her plate. "I appreciate your sincerity, Doctor Kruger. Let us not waste time on what just happened." Looking around the table, she smiled. "I know you have more questions."

"Oh yes," Kruger said, deciding to take the lead this time. "But let me secure that for analysis."

Mickmi pushed the plate over to Bogdanov who passed it on to Kruger.