Chapter 3

*Flashbacks in bold*

-----------

"Why are you so quiet, Shahroze?" Zain's question brought him back to his surroundings while Rudaba just watched the two.

"No, I am fine."

"Done with the lies. Now come to the truths."

Zain rolled his eyes while Rudaba just watched Shahroze with confusion and concern. He was suddenly acting so indifferent.

"I am fine guys, honestly." He responded putting up a smile on his face to assure the two most dear people in his life.

Zain wasn't convinced but he didn't push him more. He knew Shahroze can't be upset or worried for too long, so he would be fine on his own. He left to attend an appointment with a client in his cabin while Rudaba stayed with Shahroze for a few more minutes.

"What's the matter? Why are you so quiet?"

"There is nothing, seriously. You are worried for no reason."

"Is it because of Zain?"

He looked up with shock over his face. How good she was at reading him and everything he felt or thought. A pang of guilt and regret hit his heart seeing the disbelief on Rudaba's face.

"No, Rudaba, list-"

He couldn't finish his sentence because Rudaba just shook her head and left his office in a rush. He didn't try to stop her, he knew she wouldn't listen to anything right now. It was all his fault. For being so idiotic and wrong.  Why did he feel so jealous that it became so obvious? If he and Zain can be friends than of course, Rudaba can be friends with Zain too. This was so not him, but he was still acting so odd. Covering his face with his palms, he dropped himself on the chair and closed his eyes. This was so wrong. On so many levels.

------------

Two months had passed and Rudaba settled in New York with a good understanding of her new home city's whereabouts and how things worked there. A lot of the support came from her now-good friends, Danielle and Bella. Shahroze also helped her out whenever they would meet up. Most of the times, they would just interact at university but there were times when they would meet outside their study hours. They were forming a good friendship. In a very short period of time, they had become close. They shared things with each other that they wouldn't necessarily do with their other friends. Whenever they would meet, hours would go past them just talking about their lives.

Tonight, Daniella arranged a dinner at a restaurant where all of her friends were invited included Shahroze and Rudaba. Many other people from Daniella's friends were going to come. Not very sure of what she wanted to wear, she just randomly pulled out the burgundy coloured dress and decided to wear it for the dinner. She didn't do a lot of makeup, just a casual and neutral cover up and she was ready to go.

She got to the dinner with Bella, and to her surprise was comfortable with the surroundings. But when she saw him entering with his ever so warm smile, she was at even more ease than before. He had greeted her, and she responded by smiling back. Most of the invited guests had arrived but they were just waiting for a few more.

"You look nice."

He had commented looking at her. She smiled in response.

"Thank you."

He nodded and checked the time from his phone and then got up.

"I will just go and order some soft drinks while we are waiting."